What's new

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind....First Impressions...WOW! (2 Viewers)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Does it move correctly?
I think it does. It moves very naturally when you just stare at it. You can hear it splashing along too. When it rains, the drops make the water move correctly (as in you can see the drops make drop marks inthe water and it reacts appropriately). When running through it, it can have that kind of mercury feel to it but its much less so than other games. You have to see it!

Frederick

Second Unit
Well, EB has the game moved back a few days to 5/20 for the XBox ... the wait continues :frowning: ...
Freddy C.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
I can also attest to the fact that the game doesn't require the latest and greatest hardware to look pretty darn good (although I don't get the nifty water like some of you guys :D).
I'm currently running an Athlon 1.4Ghz T-bird, 512 megs of RAM, and a three-year-old TNT 2 Ultra. While most of my system is nice, the old video card usually cripples newer games...this is not the case with MW. I get a steady 30 FPS inside of buildings and a steady 20 FPS outdoors. I'm running at 1024x768 with the draw-distance slider in the middle and real-time shadows off.
BTW, I've also only explored the first town...for around three hours. :D

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Thank you for the advice Romier S. I followed all of the steps you listed but I'm not sure if it worked. Everything went exactly as you said until step 5. I copied to the directory you mentioned and windows now says the crack is now copied to the Morrowind folder. The problem is when I open that folder in Programs to play the game it just shows the original .exe file. I don't see the No_CD file anywhere in the folder. When I go back to try and recopy the crack it says the file is already there. When you said the crack should be in the same location as the Morrowind.exe file did you mean it copies on to that very file?

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm still getting the 5-6 second freeze when playing the game. It occurs every couple minutes or so like clockwork. I'm hoping this freeze isn't because of my video card.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Supposedly the Xbox version is going have smoother framerates. Of course, none of us will know 'till we play it but, I've been wondering:
Many, if not most, of you guys have pc's that, spec-wise, spank The Box. Even so, I've read more than 1 or 2 posts where, with the better specs, the draw distance is only average and, most have the real-time shadow's off, just to get a nice framerate.
So...does this mean that the Xbox version is going to have a mediocre, middle of the road, graphics setting to get superior frame rates?
Yeah, it know it was designed to only play games and, it's supposedly more efficient at that than the pc's but, when you're talking about pc specs that are substantially higher than the Xbox, and only putting out average draw distance, no shadows, ect..., how in the world can the Xbox version have the best graphics and the best frame rate?
Just can't see it...of course I'm hoping for it! :)

Kevin Linke

Agent
Hi. I preordered the XBox version over at EB World and the shipping date keeps changing. Is there an official release date or are they just playing it by ear? I hope it comes out really soon, because the PC version is awsome (My friend owns it.). My PC is very out dated and when I built it around 3 years ago it was top of the line, but now it pretty much can't play games. So, with that information I bought the XBox version. I hope it is as good or better than the PC version. Knock on Wood.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
X-box version = much lower resolution. Smack your res down to, say, 640x480, then turn up draw distance and shadows and see how your framerate goes.

Plus, on xbox you're writing to the hardware, not to a rendering library.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Yes, the combination of lower resolution plus the fixed, optimized hardware of Xbox really do make the difference Derrik. (not that another 256 MB of memory wouldn't help it out) Of course, we definitely shouldn't make any judgments until we get the game in our own hands...our shaking...anxious...greedy...calloused hands. ;)
Kevin, it should be shipping out on the 21st of this month.
-Dan

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
When you said the crack should be in the same location as the Morrowind.exe file did you mean it copies on to that very file?
No, it should not overwrite the existing EXE since it has a totally different name. It should coexist with the normal EXE file without a problem. I have it running like that on my machine.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I guess I see a few people who really enjoy this game and most of the review sites have given it average scores.

Not srue what to think yet..haven't gotten to try it.

-ElMO

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Romier S I followed what you just said exactly. I typed in the "find files or folders named" prompt Morrowind-NOCD.exe. It brought back no "files found". I then looked inside the properties for the NOCD file that I'm trying to copy and it lists the name of the file as "Morrowind - NOCD". There is a space between the "dash" and the letter "d" and another space between the "dash" and the letter "N". There is no .exe in the name. I then retyped the file name with the spaces in the "find files or folders named" prompt and it brings up every freakin' file on my computer. Looking through those files I could only find the original Morrowind.exe file. My guess is I'm either a complete idiot and am doing something really wrong or the crack just doesn't work with WinME.
From past experience I say it's a 50/50 chance that it's me or WinME. :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Jacob,

Open up your "My Computer" Window. From here click on "View. Under "View" you should see an option at the bottom that says "Folder Options". Click on that. Under "Folder Options" You should see three tabs. The middle tab again says "View". Click on that. Now you should see a large listing of things that can be checked and unchecked. In this list you should have an option that says "Hide file extensions for known file types". That is more than likely check marked. Go ahead and uncheck it. Also you should see an option that says "Show all files". PLace a check mark (or dot) in that. Go ahead and apply the changes and then take a look at the Morrowind-NOCD.exe file...Let me know what happened.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Romier S, I looked under the "view" menu in My Computer but it does not have a "Folder Options" listed.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Have you tried unzipping the files to your desktop and manually placing it in the bethesda folder yourself? From there you could easily make a shortcut to it...

JQ

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Thanks Dave F! It was under tools. I'm now going to follow the rest of Romer's directions and see if it works.

Jason, I tried what you suggested yesterday but I kept getting the "BINKW32.DLL was not found" when I'd try to open the NOCD file after copying it inside the Bethesda folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks