Eight years into DVD...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Basile, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

and there is still no sign of anamorphic versions of the following films:

Twins
    Timecop
    Arthur
    Armaggedon
    Overboard
    What About Bob?
    Hercules
    Spies Like Us
    Breakdown
    The Game
    and I'm sure many others.

What is interesting is that the studios have had six or seven years to re-release these movies and never did. Yet we've had three or four updated versions of Terminator 2, The Mask of Zorro, and other movies. Now Hi-Def is upon us, and I am going to hold out until Blu-Ray versions of these films are released.

On another note, I think the studios have learned that they are going to release standard versions of all their films before re-releasing them as Special Editions. When DVD first came out, we had Special Edition versions of movies that never had a proper standard release; leaving studios nowhere to go but with Ultimate, Anniversary, Extreme, and "Slogan" Editions. New features are great, but I would rather the studios spend their energy creating top notch video and audio on their new standard edition Hi-Def discs, and then doing a 2 or 3 disc special edition at a later date for those who really love that particular movie.

Any thoughts?

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Why should they devote any attention to the films you mentioned, when their valuable resources are better concentrated on the profit potential of the next releases of American Pie, Blackhawk Down, Princess Bride and others, as you mentioned.

There are five titles on your list I would have purchased -- had they been re-released as anamorphic. Now, it's too late. They missed their opportunity to squeeze a few more bucks out of me. The next time I buy any of those titles will be in HD -- assuming I still care if/when that time comes.

3. Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas Second Unit

Universal, Sony, and Disney don't know what they're doing most of the time.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Sony did pretty much know what they were doing when they started out, but they sure don't now.

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

You missed the James Cameron flicks:

True Lies
    -and-
    The Abyss

Since I don't intend to purchase into either Hi-Def format until at least July 2007 I would still re-purchase these on SD-DVD if they were to be released at some point this year.

As far as Disney's Hercules: Don't forget that we're still waiting for an anamorphic The Little Mermaid as well! Of course, that title has at least been announced for SD-DVD for October of this year.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that
    1. SD-DVD discs will still play, and in upconverting fashion to boot, on both HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray decks.
    2. It will be many, many years (if ever) before many of our "fav" titles will be available in Hi-def.
    3. As luck will have it, in many cases the title we may want may not be available on our preferred HD optical disc format. (For example, that SE of "True Lies" may be released to Blu-ray but not to HD-DVD. However, it may also be released simultaneously to SD-DVD. Since your HD-DVD deck can play the new anamorphic DVD, and the odds of the title being released to HD-DVD are nill, would you not purchase the title on SD-DVD?? I know: We're all assuming that a universal player will take care of this, but until I see one actually announced I'm not banking on it!)

6. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

I'm also waiting for a few on your list, Mark.
    Like to add a region 1 edition of Flash Gordon in anamorphic.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Kindergarten Cop comes to mind.

8. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Raising Arizona [​IMG]

9. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    How about Final Analysis and Frantic!

10. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Nine years into DVD...

And where's a good looking Outland?

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    In addition to TRUE LIES, THE ABYSS and RAISING ARIZONA, I'm still waiting for Fox to give us R1 anamorphic editions of HOME ALONE and THE EDGE...

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Actually, "The Game" is rumored for later this year, as a delux special edition.

13. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I've had an anamorphic Arthur DVD (from R2 France) for many years now. Eight years into DVD people really should figure out that there is a big world outside R1. Enjoy it.

That said it really bothers me is films that the only non-P&S release of The Man With Two Brains seems to be Norwegian.

Ted

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Also AMERICAN PRESIDENT and TRUE LIES.

CRIMSON TIDE and ENEMY OF THE STATE - are supposed to come out again, if BVHE doesn't postpone it again, for the 5th time, or whatever.

15. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

In regards to Special Editions, those early releases were mostly ported over from the laserdisc versions. The same thing could happen for HD, Blu-Ray, whichever becomes the dominate format.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

You need to go multi-region. It's just Fox USA; True Lies is anamorphic pretty much everywhere else. I have the Japanese disc, which sports a killer DTS track!

-Lyle J.P.

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yes but Lyle, the thing is, there is no good reason for there not being anamorphic R1. Same with MRS. DOUBTFIRE.

The studios need to stop this BS! of not putting out anamorphic R1 titles. [​IMG]