What's new

Eight Stills From THE THING Prequel! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Russell G

Wow, that's quite a jump in release times......generally speaking that isn't a good sign for a film, but maybe they are trying to "get it right".

It's probably just marketing.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Once they decide to bump it from the spring, they'd be crazy to release it in summer with all the big budget movies so the next best time is October.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I despise the *remake-overdrive that Hollywood is in the throws of currently (and for the last 7 years or so).......but I am cautiously warming to this one.

* (or as they put it "prequel")

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll probably end up seeing this since I'm a sucker for monster flicks. The problem I have is we already know the ending. All but two don't make it out of the camp, and those two don't do so well either.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I finally watched this and I see that I was correct about many of my concerns but the two things (sic) that made this not work for me never crossed my mind beforehand as I thought the filmmakers, being "such fans of the Carpenter version", would have infused this film with them....character development (or at least well defined characters) and suspense building. You BUILD characters to care about or at the vary least know. You BUILD towards the discovery of the spaceship. You BUILD towards the reveal of the monster. You let the paranoia BUILLLLLLLD!!! None of this, just blank motivation-less semi-characters rushing towards the "money shots" with little to no foreplay.....doesn't work too well in sex (for half the crowd anyway ;)) and doesn't work too well in so-called "suspense/thrillers". Take your time - better payoff. None of that here. It wasn't a terrible film but it was so rushed in it's efforts to pack in all the cliches inherent to this kind of film that it felt way too "by the numbers" at the end of the day.....the fillings take on the blood test was pretty good, the split face stalking sequence was ok....but the film followed a common problem that other films seem to have in the past and more so today, it felt like an extended trailer to a longer hopefully better film. In the end my opinions of this not needing to be made as it was superfluous stand. You don't take basic plot devices from the previous film - "What happened at the Norwegian camp?", "What was inside the spaceship?" - and make a new film out of them, the fact is those "unanswered questions" didn't need to be answered, the Norwegian base was a foreshadowing plot device to what was going to happen at the American base...we didn't really need to know what the inside of the ship looked like, it didn't matter, it served it's purpose...it got the alien to earth. Your mileage may vary but if your remake/prequel can't be at least as good as the "original"* than it didn't need to be made at all.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Kevin M said:
Well I finally watched this and I see that I was correct about many of my concerns but the two things (sic) that made this not work for me never crossed my mind beforehand as I thought the filmmakers, being "such fans of the Carpenter version", would have infused this film with them....character development (or at least well defined characters) and suspense building. You BUILD characters to care about or at the vary least know. You BUILD towards the discovery of the spaceship. You BUILD towards the reveal of the monster. You let the paranoia BUILLLLLLLD!!! None of this, just blank motivation-less semi-characters rushing towards the "money shots" with little to no foreplay.....doesn't work too well in sex (for half the crowd anyway ;)) and doesn't work too well in so-called "suspense/thrillers". Take your time - better payoff. None of that here.
Someone visiting another country got to see a longer version, which had about 20 more minutes of getting to know the people at the outpost. But for the English-speaking world all of that was deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks