Eight Is Enough Is Finally Happening

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Himes, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

They just don't want to sell tv dvds in stores anymore. The stores dont want'em anyway. This is the new normal... offering classic shows directly to the consumer via the Archives. This move probably ensures that the rest of the series will make it to dvd...you just won't find it in stores.

2. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Yeah, the direct to consumer MoD thing seems to be the vehicle for getting shows out quicker, and to get more obscure shows released.
    Or, to put it another way, I have more faith that a show like Night Court will be finished off in 2013 than I would have if it were still being released to retail stores.

3. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

What stores? Tower closed, as have many others. Retail for DVD is either dead or will be shortly.

4. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Ok, but what about the 'impulse buyers' that the studios seem to find so important? You know, the casual customers. Are they finally giving up on that for a more direct approach to the shows fans? If so, then yes I can see where MOD might be a better direction for things to go.

5. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I got the second season in the mail today. I bought it during the Cyber Monday 25% off sale. The discs are pressed, so I'm happy about that.
    I'm glad Warner Archive is offering pressed discs, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it because its a MOD?
    Is it cheaper for them to do pressed discs or DVD-Rs?

6. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I think it depends how many copies they think they can sell. If Warner is confident enough that demand for the show
    is going to reach a certain point, it makes sense to just go ahead and press a run of discs, and have them ready
    to ship when the release date arrives. If that number is too small, I guess it makes sense to just burn the discs on demand.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Amazon has season 2 available, but the pricing is still way out to lunch as the overwhelmingly negative reviews point out.

8. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I am not going to pay $29.99 for half season of eight is enough. I will wait it out until the price drops to an affordable level.

9. Clyde's Place

10. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, I have finished watching season 2 part one and overall everything seemed fine. There are a couple of instances on about three episodes where there are noticeable flaws in the source material. This is possible due to age. I don't really know. Also, the two two part episodes (Children Of The Groom and Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause) use the syndicated shortened version of the opening credits. This is especially noticeable on Children of the Groom. When the ending credits roll at the end of both parts, an 'also starring or featuring Betty Buckley' credit appears. Odd considering that she was already featured in the opening credits. So, it is very clear that the incorrect opening credits were used for this epidode.
    Also troublesome is the use of the two part version of Yes Nicholas, There Is A Santa Clause. When this episode originally aired it aired as a two hour special episode. I know because I watched it when it first aired lo those many years ago. I'm not sure about Children Of The Groom, but I suspect that it also aired as a two hour speical. Now I do not know if anything has been edited out of these episodes. Both parts ran about 47 minutes each plus a few seconds. The rest of the episodes run from 49-50 minutes each plus a few seconds. Anyway, I didn't notice any quick edits or plot points mentioned that weren't in the episodes so I can't say for certain if these two part episodes are 100% complete or not. Other than the obvious syndicated opening credits. The second parts do contain brief recaps of part one. I believe that part one of Children Of The Groom doesn't have a cold opening but starts with just the opening credits. So, if there was a cold opening to this episode, then it is missing.
    Anyway, I just thought that this should be mentioned for anyone wanting to purchase the set. I haven't started the second half of the season yet so I can't report on anything odd in those episodes at this time.

11. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I wasn't going to spring for this one either at that price but the bundle price is getting close to my pricepoint and is better than some of the WBA volume sets as Joe mentioned.
    Mine's coming on the 24th
    Brian,
    for the detailed info on the set.

12. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    This isn't listed on amazon.ca. Will Amazon ship this to Canada?

13. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    yes, i order from Amazon.com site from the US to Canada, but i often check deepdisount.com first,
    they often have lower prices, and lower shipping rates. the shipping is never free to Canada.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Is there any point buying into this series now? The first season is down to $13.49, but at the season two pricing, I can't see Warner rushing to release any more, so it's likely I'll wind up with only the first season.

15. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I am interested in Eight is Enough, but not at the price they want for two split dvds. I would not spend more then $25 for the split season. The pricing is getting ridiculous for new releases. I seen Family ties going for 36-40 range, which i am not prepared to pay.

16. Clyde's Place

17. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I bit the bullet and bought season 3. I'm pretty much in this one until the end. While I did stop watching the series after this season (during it's original run), I am looking forward to seeing the final two seasons. I hope this one continues to sell well enough to get the final two seasons.

18. DaveHof2

DaveHof2 Second Unit

David Hofstede
    I'm in too even at the full price. This show has been an absolute joy to rediscover.

19. lakesgirl

lakesgirl Auditioning

Renee
    I purchased season 4 and season 5 of Eight is Enough. I really liked season 4. Season 5 was hit and miss. I liked the first few episodes and then got a little bored. The kids got older and lost some of their charm. Plus, now they were sharing the screen with Merle, Janet and Jeremy. There were just too many people! But it was still worth the purchase for me. Great family show. I'm glad all the seasons are on DVD.

derosa likes this.
  20. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    I wonder if they'll release the two reunion films. I've never seen those.