What's new

Eight Days A Week: The Touring Years (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A15C-0hM2RL._SY679_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm really looking forward to this release. I have *both* versions ordered "just in case" the deluxe one is worth the extra cost. I think it will.

I found this description of the deluxe set on Amazon UK:

2-disc Deluxe Collector’s Edition (DVD/BD) includes:
1 x BD/DVD feature disc
+ 1 Bonus Disc (containing approx. 100 minutes of extras, highlighted below)
64 page booklet with an introduction from director Ron Howard, essay by music journalist and author
Jon Savage and rare photos from The Beatles’ private archive

Words & Music (24 mins)
John, Paul, George & Ringo reflect on songwriting and the influence of music from their parents’ generation, Lennon/McCartney writing for other artists, The Beatles as individual musicians, and the band as innovators. Also featuring Howard Goodall, Peter Asher, Simon Schama and Elvis Costello. The interviews with Paul and Ringo are unseen.

Early Clues To A New Direction (18 mins)
A special feature touching on The Beatles as a collective, the importance of humour, the impact of women on their early lives and songwriting, and the band as a musical movement. Featuring John, Paul, George & Ringo, along with Paul Greengrass, Stephen Stark, Peter Asher, Malcolm Gladwell, Sigourney Weaver, Whoopi Goldberg, Richard Curtis, Elvis Costello and Simon Schama. Again the interviews with Paul and Ringo are unseen.

Liverpool (11 mins)
The early days in Liverpool of the late 1950’s and early 1960’s are brought vividly to life by those who worked closely with them at that time including fan club secretary Freda Kelly, Allan Williams an early manager, and Leslie Woodhead multi-award winning documentary film director.

The Beatles in Concert (12 mins)
Five great but rarely seen full length performances of The Beatles live in concert - Twist and Shout, She Loves You, Can’t Buy Me Love, You Can’t Do That and Help!

Additional features are:
  • Three Beatles' Fans
  • Ronnie Spector and The Beatles
  • Shooting A Hard Day’s Night
  • The Beatles in Australia
  • Recollections of Shea Stadium
  • The Beatles in Japan
  • An alternative opening for the film
They also have a photo of the deluxe version:

91h9cF%2B2VcL._SL1500_.jpg

The *only* thing I don't like it that it's a "digipak" package. When will they stop using those horrible things? The UK photo for the "regular" set shows it's in a standard BR case. They should have put the deluxe one in a 2 disc standard case. I'd even pay extra for that.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From Billboard here is a description of the extras included in the deluxe set:

Those extras will include a 24-minute short on the Beatles' songwriting and how they were influenced by their parents' music, an Early Clues to a New Direction feature that touches on the group's humor and their presence as a social movement, and a look at the making of the band's classic 1964 film A Hard Day's Night, as well as an alternative opening scene. In addition, the DVD set showcases the Beatles in concert with several rare full-length clips, with special focus on their trips to Japan and Australia, and includes testimony from '60s pop star Ronnie Spector of the Ronettes about the rock legends.

The announced extras also include "Recollections of Shea Stadium," but there are no immediate details yet on how much of the remastered 30-minute film of the Shea Stadium concert performance -- which was shown exclusively in theaters with Eight Days a Week -- will be included with the DVD set. A lawsuit was filed by a group representing the family of concert promoter Sid Bernstein on Sept. 12, days before the film opened, over use of the Shea Stadium footage.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^^There is actually a bit more information in that UK Deluxe Set description I quoted above. About all it's missing is the comment on the Bernstein family's lawsuit.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
From what I've read they never intended to include the Shea concert in the disc releases. It was only for the first runs in theaters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I assumed Shea wouldn't be on the disc, unfortunately. Plus, the added complication of the recent lawsuit over that footage only makes it more difficult to release it at all.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Still no news on the Shea Stadium concert? I would buy that. If I wanted a documentary on the Beatles, it would be the Anthology programs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe that the Shea concert is available as a DCP to repertory theaters - it was showing here in NY a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks