What's new

Educating the masses on OAR, business card style (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Since it is apparently becoming a battle of trying to educate the J6Ps about original aspect ratio and how 'Full Screen' doesn't mean full image that was shot I figured I would make a couple printable demonstrations. They can be resized to business card size so the next time you see someone purchasing a fullscreen copy of a dvd that you know was shot widescreen then just show them this and hopefully they will understand.
mummy.jpg

ghostbusters1.jpg

Ok so I was bored and had some time on my hands.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yes, I would have to say I prefer the Ghostbusters one. Egon was ALWAYS the one who was cropped out. Poor Harold Ramis.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Jason, I have just sent off a letter of recommendation to the Nobel committee, suggesting that you be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. This idea could only serve to quell the fires between J6P, the senseless hordes of Blockbuster's minions, and adamant HTF enthusiasts. Great idea, excellent work my friend. I want to order a box of at least 500 now!
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the compliments. I haven't really posted here but I frequent the board alot and post regularly on avsforum. I noticed a trend of people wanting to inform the casual dvd purchaser (j6p) and no one really had a great way of doing it without ripping up their dollar bill or just putting them down for being so ignorant or bullheaded. Figured you could walk into Best Buy, notice someone purchasing a P&S dvd while you are shopping. Ask them if they know what P&S means. If they say, I hate those black bars because it cuts off the picture. Just point to the handy little card and say "No, actually you cut off Egon and Winston." Pictures speak louder than words.
I'll continue to make more. The best examples are ones that show characters being cut out or the meaning actually being altered instead of just a little scenery. I'm going through all of my DVD's that have both versions on them. I have a good one from Dark City that shows a blue ball of electricity all by itself in the P&S version. The two characters actually controlling that 'ball' are both cut out.
Nate,
I love the commentary on Ghostbusters. Harold cheers that he is finally back in most of the movie.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jason,
Could you provide the original file for download, in some commonly readable format (Word, Illustrator, etc.)? that would be great. I'd like to print a few of the Ghostbuster cards for myself, with some minor changes for my own tastes.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
They were done in photoshop (.psd) with layers. I can post a link to that file if you like. It is around 2.5mb. I'll zip it though. I take it you would want the Ghostbusters one?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Excellent work!
I gotta point something out, though.
Ghostbusters is not a title that some stores are only stocking a MAR edition of, is it?
In fact, there isn't a separate, MAR-only DVD on the market for Ghostbusters. It's only available in OAR. The Special Edition, anamorphically enhanced, has been the only DVD version on the market and I've seen it for sale or rent everywhere, including Wal-Mart and Blockbuster.
When you get down to it, Ghostbusters is a terrific SE with loads of supplements, streeting for $15 in most places. A great example of how we want to represent DVD to the masses: Original Theatrical Presentation, great supplements with original ideas (video commentary), at an AWESOME price!
I don't think it'll help the HTF pro-OAR position for us to print up these Ghostbusters cards - as wonderful as they are - and try to insinuate that the named retailers are refusing to sell an OAR widescreen version. We won't convince people without honesty and accurate facts!
I'd say we're on the right track, though, and the card for The Mummy Returns is perfect! We ought to stick to titles like TMR, that are available in different AR versions as separate SKUs , and which certain retailers only carry the MAR version SKU, refusing to stock the OAR version SKU as well.
Other examples of 2-SKU (1-for-each-AR) DVD's (last 2½ on the list still not out yet):
  • Stuart Little
    The Mummy
    Jaws
    Jurrasic Park
    Lost World: Jurassic Park
    102 Dalmations
    Charlotte's Web
    Santa Claus: The Movie
    Airport
    Remember the Titans
    Silence of the Lambs
    Cats & Dogs
    Willie Wonka - 30th Annversary Edition
    The Princess Diaries
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Hey! Another thing we can do is get screencaps/digitalpics from Laserdisc versions in LBX format and compare to the existing MAR-only DVD's. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, anyone? :)
Also, it will do no good to compare the OAR vs. MAR issue on DVD titles that (like The Muppet Movie, Shrek, The NeverEnding Story, and Men in Black for example) the stores sell you both versions with one purchase. It doesn't give the consumer a chance to make a choice and vote with their $$'s. The stores can't help but carry the OAR version, right?
One last though: may I suggest that we dispense with terms like "Pan and Scam" and "Crop and Chop". It might keep a few folks from taking it seriously. Why don't we stick to "professional-sounding" terms. MAR (Modified Aspect Ratio) sounds great to me when I'm trying to persuade someone that non-OAR is wrong.
All of this is just my own opinion, so take it or leave it. The design work you've done here looks great, though!
I've been toying with the idea of registering a domain name along the lines of "www.oaryes.org" or something. Thoughts?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Nice job!
You should also put a web site address that shows more comparisons.
BTW, stick with the Ghostbusters one or another, The Mummy won't work.
Jeff

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Now This is a great idea!!!
I can print up some,and hand them out with my cable access show card.
Speaking of my cable show, I'm working on a segment on showing just what the difference is between P&S and widescreen. Something along the lines of the Die Hard 5-Star segment.
Hey,any little bit helps,right?
crazy.gif

Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Great stuff Jason. Are the pictures actually taken from the OAR and P&S versions or "approximations"?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
David,
You are right about the Ghostbusters one. It is a great OAR DVD and shows clearly how much of a benefit the format serves. The only reason I picked it is because I always had this picture ingrained in my head of only seeing 2 or 3 ghostbusters during the movie everytime I watched it on TV. This always seemed weird to me since way back when I didn't understand OAR and P&S. I do think it serves the purpose well though, even if it is a little fudged. If it did come out in a P&S or MAR as you put it(I like that too) I'm sure stores like Walmart and Blockbuster etc would try to only carry the P&S version like they are now with more and more new releases. Luckily for us and the entire DVD community the studios didn't even make that an option. Guess Harold Ramis was tired of not being shown.
Thanks for all the sudgestions and everyone can take this idea and make their own etc. I would like to do one of Cats & Dogs (if I can find a WS version of it) since that is the latest controversy.
Quick question. Weren't Jurrasic Park and Lost World shot in open matte except for the special fx shots? If so then that might not be a good one to compare.
To answer the other questions. The pictures are from OAR dvd's and the P&S cutout was taken from reference to VHS copy of Ghostbusters and an educated guess for TMR. I looked at the P&S version of the first Mummy and took a screen shot and overlaid that as a reference.
The other idea I had was to make a two sided card. One side would have the entire screenshot unaltered in OAR. On the other side it would just be the P&S cutout and then the writing on the sides with no picture. Harder to printout but maybe a little cleaner and uncluttered.
Web address is a great idea. Maybe widescreen.org. or the link to the digitalbits Widescreen-O-Rama.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jason,
Very nice! I think this is a great way to get the message out to the masses.
------------------
Scott

Nathan Spillman

Auditioning
Ghostbusters was the first movie I ever noticed the unnatural scanning of the picture for some odd reason, and watching it for the first time in OAR, I noticed things I'd never seen before which I'm sure every one of you knows here.
If someone is on the edge, this is the perfect movie to show them. Everyone knows it well, and the vast majority of people only know it well from video and/or cable.
I've convinced two or three people myself using it.
-Nathan Spillman

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Great work!!!
One thing - When I start handing these things out, I'm going to change the tag at the bottom to read "Support Widescreen Movies" or something similar, instead of "Support OAR".
I don't think most people understand that OAR = "Widescreen" and it might help to make the distinction between P&S and OAR a little clearer.
Just a thought, but otherwise outstanding concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks