What's new

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show. I bet, if he could go back in time and have a do-over, he'd skip that particular "scene".

Personally, I think he's a terrific actor and what he does with his private life is his business and has ZERO affect on how I perceive him in a role on screen.

'Edge of Tomorrow' isn't just one of 2014's best movies, it's one of the best Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I've seen in the last 30 years! Everyone that is skipping it because of Tom Cruise (or any other reason) is only shorting themselves.

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mark Booth said:
I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show.
I agree but I think he's so insulated from the real world that he doesn't even know it was a bad move. I think another 'problem' of his in the US is that he's a Scientologist (since it's the only religion that you can publicly mock with no repercussions).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Mark Booth said:
I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show. I bet, if he could go back in time and have a do-over, he'd skip that particular "scene".

Personally, I think he's a terrific actor and what he does with his private life is his business and has ZERO affect on how I perceive him in a role on screen.

'Edge of Tomorrow' isn't just one of 2014's best movies, it's one of the best Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I've seen in the last 30 years! Everyone that is skipping it because of Tom Cruise (or any other reason) is only shorting themselves.

Mark
TravisR said:
I agree but I think he's so insulated from the real world that he doesn't even know it was a bad move. I think another 'problem' of his in the US is that he's a Scientologist (since it's the only religion that you can publicly mock with no repercussions).

Agreed. I also think his awkward interview with Matt Lauer didn't help.

I love Tom Cruise movies. His faith is his faith - may not make sense to me, but what does that matter. I think he's a terrific actor with a marvelous resume of films and Edge of Tomorrow was absolutely entertaining, certainly one of his better movies of the last ten years. I've loved almost everything he's done, to varying degrees (I am a huge fan of Jack Reacher, the movie, not so much the novels.)

I get how some people can be turned off by a movie if there is a person in it they don't care for. However, I don't believe there are movies that I would avoid because of an actor. Even folk like Steven Seagal, who I used to enjoy but now don't care for at all, if he did a movie that looked interesting, I wouldn't avoid it.

Still, to each their own. I sincerely hope the international box office for Edge turn this into a hit, even a modest one financially, so Cruise can keep making this kind of entertaining movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think all these actors are weirdos :) And I really don't want to know all they do or believe in. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :)

I think Cruise is among the best actors of all time. Rarely is he in a disaster. Didn't care for Jack Reacher but that list is VERY short.

I agree with Mark Booth in that EoT is one of the great sci-fi action films...I eagerly await the Blu-ray release. BTW I also loved Oblivion.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It makes me laugh that people would judge a guy and determine that he was unwatchable in a movie due to letting passion get in the way of reason. So he jumped up on a chair and acted a bit nutty. Big deal. People writing him off as an actor because of that are bigger sad sacks than he ever was for what he did out of emotion. Like nobody has ever done something stupid in their life that they immediately regretted, but if you are a public figure suddenly you become a pariah for being human. It's ridiculous.

Charlie Sheen acts like an insane douche bag, manages to turn his stupidity into a positive and ends up landing on his feet in "Anger Management". Cruise jumps on a chair proclaiming "love" and his career is crippled? There is something seriously wrong with that picture. It just shows that the judgement of a lot of people is seriously impaired. It's a good thing I couldn't care less that he jumped on a chair and acted like a buffoon. If I had, I would have missed two good films, Brad Bird's Mission Impossible and this one, just because Tom Cruise was in them.

Edit: To tell the truth, I didn't think "Oblivion" was all that bad either; although, I didn't see that in the theater. I watched it on Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Tom Cruise has been made to sit in the box office equivalent of the "time out corner" long enough. Compared to Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski and many others, his mistakes were pretty tame. I think it was the Matt Lauer interview more than the couch jumping, or maybe the Katie Holmes relationship/marriage as a whole. Sure, there was an age difference, but that's not exactly unique for Hollywood or just about anywhere else. I think it came down to this - at least half of Cruise's audience was women, and in a very inelegant way, he made comments (based on his religious beliefs) that came across as attacking a pretty well liked woman for having had postpartum depression. He came across as a bully, kicking someone who was already down. I think what he was trying to say was different from what actually came out of his mouth, but damage done. So then combine that with, he's getting married again, and isn't his religion nutty, and wife-to-be mentions that she used to have a poster of him in her bedroom when she was a kid, and I think all of those things swirled around in the media until there was a general "ick" feeling surrounding him. I also don't know if it's helped or hurt that lately he's been making far more action pictures than he ever did. I enjoyed both Oblivion and Edge Of Tomorrow, but their trailers made them seem so generic and not worth rushing out to see. I'm glad I saw those movies in spite of their dull trailers.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I agree, it was one of the better Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I have seen in a very long time!!!

8-9/10. Hands down.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I didn't have much interest in this movie but I'm glad I listened to the word of mouth here and the reviews because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maybe it's a little convenient at the end that
just as he's on the verge of figuring it all out, he gets blood and can't keep coming back
but I can let it slide for the sake of upping the stakes.
Yeah, I think they had to do that. If Cage could always "reset", then there's no real tension - he had to lose that power if the events were to have any meaning.

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday and liked it a lot. It's been a meh year IMO, but the two movies I saw this week - "Edge" and "Apes" - have helped redeem it.

"Edge" is my favorite of the bunch so far. Clever, smart and fun, it told its narrative in a fairly logical way and didn't spoonfeed the audience. It dropped hints and clues but didn't shove tons of exposition down our throats much of the time, which I appreciated - I don't think the story ever really ground to a halt so Morris the Explainer could appear. That's no mean feat given the complexity of the story.

It was fun to see Cruise alter his usual "true blue hero" template and play a coward for once. Of course, this changes as the movie progresses, but I like the way it makes him out to be such a weasel at the start.

Of course, it comes with some plot holes - those become inevitable in a story of this sort - and I wasn't wild about the finale, but overall, I thought it was a smart, exciting and consistently compelling flick. Too bad it didn't find more of an audience...

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Sean Bryan said:
I just saw this and thought it was really good.It's a shame it hasn't had a great take at the box office.Marvel Studios should do whatever it takes to bring Emily Blunt into the fold. She's definitely leading woman material.
Ms Marvel? It seemed the obvious one to me after watching this.

I really enjoyed this film and it is a huge shame that it didn't do better at the box office. It is a definite blu-ray purchase for me. I want to see it again to see how I feel about the ending second time round. It had good performances and action combined with unexpected humour. It reminded me of playing co-op shooters with friends when they were discussing strategy based on what they knew they were about to face.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I really enjoyed this film, despite the fact that I arrived late and had to sit in the front fvcking row. I was really lloking forard to it and thought it was great . I saw it opening weekend and will probably check it out again in the next few days. Cruise has been on a role in the last decade -- he has picked some great projects. I think his resurgence for me started with War f the worlds. He followed with (in no particular order) Mission Impossible III, Valkyrie, Jack Reacher, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and Oblivion, Tropic Thunder was funny and I thought Knight and Day was criminally overlooked -- a very fun flick. I will see anything with him in it.

It has made about $363,000,000 worldwide -- not too shabby. I'll buy it when it hits blue ray.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
A conflagration of Groundhog Day, Starship Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan. Originality isn't its strongest suit, and it doesn't have any of the spiritual resonance of the first, scathing satire of the second, or technical virtuosity of the third, but It's lots of fun. Cruise and Blunt are an engaging pair, and it's briskly directed. Shot on 35mm too. Go down swinging, Kodak :(. Bill Paxton is a scene-stealer, as usual.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Coming October 7Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced the Blu-ray release of director Doug Liman's Edge of Tomorrow (2014), starring Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Charlotte Riley, Bill Paxton, Brendan Gleeson, Jonas Armstrong, Noah Taylor and Dragomir Mrsic. The sci-fi action film arrives via 2D and 3D Blu-ray combo packs on October 7th. Synopsis: The epic action of Edge of Tomorrow unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop, forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again and again... and again. But with each battle, Cage is able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). As Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.Special features include:Operation DownfallAdrenaline CutStorming The BeachWeapons Of The FutureCreatures Not Of This WorldOn The Edge With Doug LimanDeleted Scenes

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No problem Tim. Day 1 for me too. Still my favorite film of the summer and year too for that matter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Maybe he'll get out of it, maybe he won't, but I liked the uncertain resolution and the idea that he's potentially forever trapped doing this over and over.
I looked up this thread so I could ask a question about the end. After reading some of the thread, the idea that getting the Omega’s blood made for a longer reset, I can buy. Then there’s the issue why the Omega isn’t still alive after the reset. One could argue the Omega isn’t doing the reset, it’s blood is transferring the power to Cage. If one is going to be picky, then this is a conundrum. I’m going to admit this is a favorite sci/fi movie and I’m not going to be picky.

As to the plot holes, IMO, I think some of us need to recognize that most of these type of films have some issues that aren't easily explained as you wish you can have a seat down discussion with the director and writer about those issues.
Yeah, exactly.

I get how some people can be turned off by a movie if there is a person in it they don't care for. However, I don't believe there are movies that I would avoid because of an actor. Even folk like Steven Seagal, who I used to enjoy but now don't care for at all, if he did a movie that looked interesting, I wouldn't avoid it.
I can’t think of an actor or other artist I won’t watch or listen to because of their personal lives. Ok, R. Kelly I’ll not patronize, but that’s an issue of criminal behavior. A guy like Cruise, there’s too much enjoyment to be missed to be bothered about his personal life. Hold political views I don’t like? I don’t care. It seems like a rigid way of thinking to exclude artists for issues outside of their art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks