What's new

Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill DVD, November 26th (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
"little-red-cook-book, little-red-cook-book"
Maybe with enough posting in this thread we can turn some HTF types onto the genius of Izzard.
For anyone wondering what all the fuss is about: here's a few audio samples (although I warn you, some of the best laughs from Izzard are a combination of what he's saying, and the way he looks when he says it!):
http://www.izzard.com/audio/e1.mp3
http://www.izzard.com/audio/e2.mp3
http://www.izzard.com/audio/e3.mp3
http://www.izzard.com/audio/e4.mp3
[and these are audio clips that are slightly different than the versions in the film performance- these are from a different night]
-Vince

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Great new, Eddie Izzard is my favorite comedian (at least alive, Bill Hicks it probably my all-time fav). I saw him live a few years back doing his Circles show in Chicago. Not as good as DTK or Glorious, but still good stuff (it was also quite a weird experience because I had a bad head cold, and Eddie is confusing enough when you're lucid:D).
I can't believe it's taking this long to get his stuff in the US, especially since DTK was such a success on HBO. I ended up having to get all his CDs via import because none were available in the US (still not either). Now all we need is his other shows on DVD and we'll be set.
Also, on Amazon.com it doesn't say which version of DTK this is. If you didn't know, the one on HBO was shot special for HBO. In Europe the CD (and video I assume) for DTK are from a seperate show on the same tour. Similar materal, but do to Eddie's style not the same show (eg, no Englebert). I hope it's the HBO one because I feel it was the funnier of the two.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll keep the quotes coming. I just watched my VHS tape of Dress to Kill after all the conversation:).
On histories great murderers and the reasons why we cant process the amount of deaths that occurred:
"Its because they kill thier own people, and we're sort of fine with that. We're almost going...Oh help yourself!"
"Then Hitler goes after the Jews....OOoohh stupid man.."
Brilliant comedy. I haven't looked at the word "herb" the same way since.
:laugh:
"You say Herb(erb) and we say Herb...because theres a fucking H in it"

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I used to be a big Izzard fan in the mid-late 90s, but he seems to have dropped off the radar over here. I've noticed him in a couple of Hollywood films... Mystery Men and others, but his standup has all but disappeared over here. :frowning: Why is it all of our best comedians go to American and never look back? :frowning:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
It's despicable that there's no apparent R2 release coming of this. Glorious is letterbox 16:9 on video over here but I've not see Dress to Kill for years so I can't say about that one.
I was looking to grab the VHS interim the other day and they were sodding £17!!!!! :angry:

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
About a year ago I had the pleasure of meeting Eddie and he's a great guy in person as well. I wish I had the pictures scanned.

But that's beside the point. I never realized that the HBO version was TOTALLY different from the other DTS release. I simply thought it was the same recording, but only with the HBO one being trimmed by a few minutes. I'd of course prefer the longer one, but I just have to have the Humperdinck joke... one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I too am hoping for the HBO version- since I have the CD of the UK version (which was from the same venue, just a different night)- and almost every joke delivery is better on the HBO version.

But since it looks like HBO is not involved in this release (??), who knows what will be on the disc.

-Vince

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Just brilliant news... Of course, it would have to be another November release. :)
Dan

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, Amazon and DeepDiscount list it as the Paris performance. I take it that it isn't the HBO one then? That kind of stinks if it is true since it was the little remarks to the american audience that made for some really good laughs. "You have no bloodly clue who I'm talk about do you?" :)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
"I have invented a manuever!"

"First there was straw-henge and wood-henge."

Edit: Izzard's own site seems to suggest it was the San Francisco show. Of course, this is just for the VHS that they are selling.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The Paris thing seems to be a bonus: he discussed doing the show in Paris, completely in Frech- so I assume that won't be the version on US Reg 1 DVD. The press release mentions it:
Bonus features on the "Dress To Kill" DVD include: "Dress To Circle" (Eddie performs in French in Paris), "America 1998" (photo documentary), commentaries on main "Dress To Kill" and Paris show and subtitles in Spanish, French and English.
The press release from Eddie's PR firm says it's the HBO version:
So looks to be the HBO version (fingers crossed), and also looks to have a commentary track (?).

John CW

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. I have the UK version on video... I'm SURE there's an Engelbert Humperdink jokes in there. The UK CD might be different from the video (they usually are), so you might not need to worry!

~ John

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler DJW, how'd you get it for less than $10 at DeepDiscountDVD? It's showing up $13.18 for me... :confused:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Oh - my - god.

Not only confirming HBO version (since reviewer claims to have VHS tape from broadcast)-- but the full unedited performance! An additional hour of french material? Commentaries on both?

I'm buying copies for everyone I know for X-mas!

-V

PS: Deepdiscount is at $13 now, but was at $9.59 two days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks