What's new

Ed 12/10/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Just a reminder that there's a new episode of Ed on tonight, titled "Just a Formality".

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Detroiters can see (well, tape or Tivo for all practical purposes) the new Ed at 3:02 AM tonight (Ok, technically Thursday morning). I figure the St. Judes kids warrant a pre-emption moreso than, say, a Tigers game. :)

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Overall, a so-so episode, but at least Carol's dad is on board.

Now the preview for next episode was very disturbing though...

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
If its another dream sequence I'm going to be pissed off. I'm already pissed off. First two seasons were genius. Season three was half good, then half desperate to save its own ass.

Season four is a completely different show. The writers (possibly the producers...) are unwilling to risk a new direction in the show and seem convinced that the only draw of the show is the Ed/Carol romance. They really need to take a look at the first two seasons and find their groove again....at this rate, with it already being trimmed to 18 episodes with no reruns to be shown....things don't look good.

:frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the most probable reason for the preview is:

a kiss under the mistletoe scene
. Psyche! (I hope).

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
This show which I used to be addicted to has become schlock. I realize that with it's inability to find a foothold that it needs to be more universal as opposed to it's quirky beginnings but the show has become flat out HORRIBLE.

Warren Cheswick hilarity? GONE
The $10 bet? Practically GONE
Flirtation between Ed and Carol? GONE
Quirky bowling alley Staff? GONE

The weirdness of Ed assembling this group of malcontents has been replaced by what appears to be the ultimate token character (Unless that actor that plays Eli is actually wheelchair bound which I believe him not to be), Shirley (Who has been toned down as of late), and a VERY Neutered Phil. True Phil's antics could wear thin but now its as if he's been relegated to nothing else than a weird looking guy that uses the word "Bosco".

I can't imagine how this show will maintain an audience once they get through the Ed and Carol marriage phase of the show. How boring is a show about 2 married couples in a small town? (Bowling alley lawyer or not)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it took a bit to get used to Daryl's current condition because I had watched him when he was "Veronica's Closet" a few years ago (where he was very lively and ambulatory), and then he had his motorcycle accident that left him a paraplegic, but he persevered and got his life back on track. I like what they've done with his storyline as a supporting character on Ed.

Brett_H

Second Unit
This episode was average. Mark's story line was nothing outstanding, good for a few laughs I suppose. I didn't really "get" Mike's pizza oven thing. Was there more to it, or was it just supposed to be a bit of comic relief about a guy who tries to build a pizza oven? Maybe there's some deep meaning that I'm overlooking there...

I did like the Ed & Carol that I saw in this episode. I thought they clicked together fairly well... oh wait, of course they did, considering next week's preview.

MattBu:
How boring is a show about 2 married couples in a small town? (Bowling alley lawyer or not)
Actually, this is what I've been hoping for! I enjoy seeing Ed & Carol together, for me there doesn't have to be a constant "chase" mentality. What you see as boring, I see as a fine direction for the show to take. It's something that will let the writers focus more on what I feel this show was all about: a great ensemble cast that can handle comedy, drama, and all around quirkiness better than any I've seen.

-Brett.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the subplot concerning Mike was 2-fold:

1. His house is gutted, and he has a chance to make drastic changes to it.

2. His wife is willing to give him the space to figure out if it's what he really wants.

Mike finds out 2 things:

1. The pizza oven idea wasn't well thought out, and his life is fine without it.
2. His wife is a true gem.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I actually liked the episode, but was incredulous that Warren was not in it - his best friend getting spewed across the Internet and he's not around? Was there a story-internal reason given for Cheswick's absence?

Thought the writers finally got the Ed and Carol thing right - ONE: they actually talked to each other; TWO: they seemed to really like each other; THREE: They were happy with each other for the whole episode!

I found the plot with Carol's dad to be convincing and good - a great story that allows Ed, Carol and her dad to interact, grow and be themselves.

Next week - cripes. Since last season's finale, we've had ONE episode with no fighting or contrived drama between Ed and Carol, and that was last night! Someone needs to give the writers a serious talking to...

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I actually liked the episode, but was incredulous that Warren was not in it - his best friend getting spewed across the Internet and he's not around? Was there a story-internal reason given for Cheswick's absence?
Actually, there was a mention of this in the beginning of the episode. Mark said something to the effect of Cheswick being away representing the school somewhere. I forget exactly what it was.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Maybe Justin Long (Cheswick) was filming a movie. He's got a couple going on according to IMDB.

agreed. bring them back, please.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone noticed that the Common thread here is that we're all men? I think that perhaps the idea of Ed and Carol settling down appeals on a broader level to Women than to Men (Though Brett appears to be the exception). Warren Cheswick reminds me a lot of myself, whereas Ed's antics are fun to watch the idea of him settling down is a bummer for me. The episode where Warren studies Thorau
and then scores a night in the Mountains (Of Ohio?) with that hottie is one of my favorites. While I find Carol hot, her character is lame and grates on my nerves. It's as if they have written out every single one of the young characters barring Mark and Warren. What happened to the girl Warren was chasing or her jock BF?

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I think that perhaps the idea of Ed and Carol settling down appeals on a broader level to Women than to Men
Nope, I'm happy they're together - what irks me is the endless angst the writers are putting them through. Since they've been together, there's been exactly ONE episode where they haven't fought or had some relationship-defining conflict. Ugh. I'd rather see them mostly happy and bantering and affectionate with occasional strife.

I hate to say this, but I'm edging towards bailing on the show. If we continue to get more contrivances aimed at upping the dramatic tension, it'll be VERY hard for me to watch. I might just consider the series done at the end of last season, and wait for the DVDs to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks