Echo using Samsung C-5500 home theater system

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by armstrongr, Apr 26, 2011.

1. armstrongr

armstrongr Auditioning

Hello

I am hoping you can help - am at my wit's end with my 1 year old home theater system (a Samsung C-550).

Within the past 2-3 months, there has been an increasing echo noise that completely ruins the experience.

To fix I have tried:

- adjusting sound settings from Samsung device

- resetting speaker settings and doing the home audio test where each speaker blasts so that your experience is at center

- using TV sound in addition to Samsung sound (does not work)

- adjusting TV audio settings

Other info:

- the speakers have worked fine up until 2-3 months ago. My wife heard the echo first when it was subtle and now it is much worse

- the issue is both for Cable TV + HT and HT only, although it seems much worse when using the Cable TV

- I am not currently using the two back speakers as it does not fit our new room as well. This did not present a problem when we first started listening with just the woofer and front 3 speakers.

Any ideas on this??

Thanks!

2. armstrongr

armstrongr Auditioning

Update:

Samsung speakers do not have echo when playing a DVD. It is only coming from TV audio.

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Are you listening to the TV speakers at the same time as the Samsung speakers? If you are using the Samsung speakers for your cable/satellite TV, the TV speakers should be muted. Trying to listen to audio coming from two difference devices at the same time will cause Echo no matter what you do.

How is your cable/satellite box connected to the TV and/or Samsung unit?

The Samsung C-550 has one digital optical audio input. If your cable/satellite box has a digital optical output, you should connect the audio from the cable/sat box directly to the Samsung.

If you are running HDMI from your cable/sat box to the TV, it will provide sound via the TVs speakers for times when the Samsung is turned OFF.

If the Samsung is turned ON, and you want to use those speakers, you should press the FUNCTION button to select the AUX1 input, and cycle through the inputs until you see D.IN. That's the digital audio input. You also need to MUTE the TV speakers.