What's new

Ebert and Roeper's Worst 10 of 2003 (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Haven't seen a single film from either of those lists. :b

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Only movie I saw on either list from begiining to end was Gigli.

Gigli was not as bad as many tried to make it out to be. There were worse movies this year. After attempting to watch Just Married, I never made it through it. It's an out-of-the ordinary romantic comedy for teenagers. I'm a teenager myself, and what I saw of this movie was horrible.

But back to Gigli. This movie is not the best movie ever made, and I was never going to make it out like that, but the movie tells a coherent story with some good laughs and a scene stealing cameo from Al Pacino. The movie falls apart in the last 20 minutes or so with an ending that goes on way too long with a payoff that's completely unecissary. I went to see this out of curiousity and it got the better of me here instead of getting the worse of me. The performances from Ben and J. Lo were only decent, but its the cinematography from Robert Elswit that helps the movie forward. Despite these things, Gigli did not get a recommendation from me because of its ending. As I said, it went too long for its own good, and if the movie hadn't had been so long to begin with at 124 minutes, I would've ignored it, but I couldn't there. Was it bad? No, but it was far from great, that's all i'll say.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I own LXG, Basic, and Dreamcatcher and liked them. I've seen Jeepers Creepers II and BBII, liked them too, especially JCII but films like JCII, Final Destination, FDII, and Joy Ride are my guilty pleasures. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a little fun action or scary gorefest.

While I did like LXG I couldn't help but think it could have been so much better.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen any of these, but I do have Masked & Anonymous and Chainsaw Massacre on my Netflix list. I've been tempted to rent LXG...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I managed to avoid every single film on those lists. Yeah!!

Of course, I didn't avoid them because E&R told me to, I avoided them because they looked like total shite in the previews.

I still haven't managed to see the films that I wanted to see from last year, plus all of the classics that I'm continually adding to my "To See" list.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What Eric said.
With so many movies, and less time available to see them, I have been careful with my selections. I don't think I saw a "bad" movie last year.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I have seen a few of those titles and the only one that I liked enough to buy was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I've never seen the original and had no expectations going into it, so maybe that has something to do with my liking it.

Personally, the worst movies I saw were that haven't been mentioned yet are:
Hulk
Once Upon A Time In Mexico

And I agree whole heartedly about:
Darkness Falls
Basic
Dreamcatcher
Bad Boys II

I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was OK and I liked Underworld alot. The rest that have been mentioned I haven't seen yet.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I watched BASIC on DVD with my husband and we hated it more than anything we've sen in recent memory. It was so bad that we think the director (who did Die Hard, Predator and Red October) has been replaced by a retarded clone.

BAD BOYS II was junk, but it was entertaining junk.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I agree with most of the choices except for:

Basic
Dreamcatcher
Jeepers Creepers II

I found them enjoyable. LXG and CA:FT were the dregs though.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor

Im usually quite forgiving of action movies and stuff like this but LXG was indeed the worst movie I saw last year. Cant believe I went to that instead of 28 days.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen 3 of the movies on the two combined lists.

Masked & Anonymous - one of my favourite films of the year. Very eccentric and pretentious, yet I loved it completely.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle - really liked it. I pretty much never like Hollywood blockbuster action fests, but I ate this up completely

Just Married - THE WORST movie I saw from 2003. Horrible in every possible way

Watching this episode of Ebert & Roeper, I definitely found myself much more convinced and intrigued by Ebert's comments and reasonings on his choices, whereas Roeper continued to come off like a joke, rarely surprising me or convincing me with his explanations (not that I think his choices for worst would actually be good). He still seems completely unqualified and moronic each week, no matter if I agree with a positive or negative review or not.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
me either, i managed to dodge all those clunkers. i will eventually probably see bad boys 2, and maybe even gigli, to see if the badnesslives up to the hype, although i doubt it.

CJ

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think Gigli is more or less "The trendy movie to make fun of." people bash it...and haven't seen it. they just pick on the fact that it's a critical failure. But I'm sure there were tons of worse movies this year...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You're right - it became hip to attack the flick, and it didn't really matter if the movie was any good or not. The whole "Bennifer" thing didn't help, as many people actively hoped for their failure.

Gigli IS a bad film, but it's not the atrocity before God some make it out to be. For a while there, it ranked 1st on the IMDB "worst movies" list, but now it's only at 10th. I think it got the better ranking because the DVD came out and people actually SAW it. The film clearly earned its terrible score from morons who gave it a "1" but never saw it...

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't surprise me to see TCM as Ebert's worst after reading his laughable review. He moans about the depravity of the film, brutality of the violence, and desparate and intense tone of the movie. Um, Roger, in case you didn't know, it is called THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, and that's the whole point. Anyways, there are three or four films out of the combined lists that I really liked, the others were either crap or I didn't see them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Just Married is Just Awful. That film was so bad that Dude, I Can't Believe I Wasted $2! (rental).

(and to who mentioned it, since "Underworld" was a nice surprise and a movie I really enjoyed, no way I'd put it at the bottom... nor Hulk)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Your comments about gigli are right. I'm sure it's bad (I haven't even seen it) but I just have a hard time believing it's the WORST movie of all time...

It's like bashing It's Pat: The Movie, saying that is the worst film, or even belongs on the lowest 250 list... (Well, maybe it could fit on that list... ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks