eBay Too Big For It's Own (and Our) Good

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I currently have an auction in progress. Before it was even listed, I decided to move it ahead by one day to make it more convenient for me to get items shipped out in a timely fashion. There is and has always been an option to allow a seller to do this for multiple items simultaneously. I have 20 items for sale. I checked "select all" and tried to move the action ahead by one day. The site would not allow me to do this. I called eBay and spent a half-hour on the phone with an employee in the Philippines who did what he could to help me out. The best he could do was suggest I re-schedule each individual auction. I did not feel like spending that kind of time and so decided to let it go on the original date.

But it gets worse.

Every single item was scheduled by me for a 6 PM starting date Pacific Standard Time, so that here in the East it would end at 9:00 p.m. I do this will all of my auctions. I am always very careful to use the little scroll boxes to make sure the auction will end at 6:00 p.m. PST (as I have done for many years on eBay).

I assumed, of course, that all was well. Until, just 3 days before the end of the auction, I realized that eBay had my auctions (all of which had been bid upon) ending at 6:00 A.M., not P.M. I went ballistic. Who the hell is going to get up at 5:30 a.m. on the West Coast to continue their bids on my items?

So, I called eBay again. I explained that I was a long-time member with a perfect feedback record, and that I was requesting the auction be changed by twelve hours, as I had been very meticulous about the starting (and therefore ending) dates and times, so that it would need at a reasonable time on both coast.

The person I spoke to (again, from the Philippines) told me that the only thing I could do, because the auctions were in progress, would be to end all 20 auction listings and start again. I told them I appreciated that he was not responsible for what eBay was doing to me, but expressed that I thought I was being screwed. I am not going to piss off 20 lead bidders because eBay screwed up. I'll have to absorb the losses, which might be hundreds of dollars because eBay could not admit their web site was faulty the day I listed my items.

Am I the only person who has found eBay way-y-y too big for their britches lately?

And what recourse have we?

Time to move to Amazon, ya think?

Clinton McClure likes this.
  2. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    As a buyer , I had a recent problem with EBAY, wasn't able to resolve it .EBAY customer service was of no help at all. So to answer your question, IMO, EBAY has become too big and uncaring . Let the seller and buyer beware.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I stopped selling on Feebay ages ago.I use Craigslist and Etsy.

Stan likes this.
  4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I haven't really visited Ebay in years. I used to regularly sell and buy. Now I wouldn't miss it at all if it disappeared.

Stan and MatthewA like this.
  5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Have not used eBay in over 3 years, sorry to hear your bad experiences Dick!

6. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    I was just reading the "Should I give Amazon a break" thread and was thinking the exact same thing about Amazon. Sounds like a recurring theme.

7. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    After reading this and the other thread on Ebay, I'm glad to not try to sell some of my old stuff, as it seems like a much bigger headache than before.

I have not used for a long time, and hated how they keep charging fees to list, and if the item sold, they charged for that as well.

Besides, I doubt anyone would buy cassettes, old CDs, or even baseball cards these days.

8. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Yeah, I'm staying away from Ebay. I finally got my second problem resolved after demanding for twenty-minutes that I speak to a manager. I don't know if it was my threats of getting a lawyer or the manager saw that I was write but they finally refunded my money. I did list another auction after this episode but having Paypal hold my money for up to 21 days was just the last straw. There are so many "groups" on Facebook to where I can sell whatever without the added fees and so on.

9. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

I can't even remember the last time I used Ebay. Maybe 6-7 years ago? Obviously not contributing much here, but I just stay away. The company sucks.Get together with a few neighbors and have a yard sale. You'll make a lot more than you ever would on Ebay, plus no fees, just invest a little time.