What's new

ebay selling question (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I've been a buyer on ebay for years but am now opening up a selling account. I'm going to use the credit card to pay fees as the direct banking one is for US only. Do I want to be registered with Billpoint? They say you can take credit cards over the net but what's the catch? Or is it for US only as well and I don't have to worry?
jeremy

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Jeremy--
I'm a big seller on ebay..
Um, you don't need to be registerd on billpoint to sell on ebay..
Billpoint (I believe) Is Ebay's version of paypal...
I'm not registered with it and I make tons of money, just by excepting Cashiers Check/Money Order.
Another thing,
I do not believe you can use billpoint on transactions over $2,000..
Ohh, and the catch..
They charge!
I'm not sure how much, but It's between 1 and 10 percent.
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Both BILLPOINT and PAYPAL charge if the buyer uses a credit card. The amount of the charge has been a bone of contention between BILLPOINT and PAYPAL for quite a while (PAYPAL used to be free). The charges are similar, although if you use BILLPOINT long enough, you get a break and then it's cheaper than PAYPAL.
I do recommend signing up for both. It does make a difference when I buy and I assume it does to many others as well. Not so much that I can use a credit card (I only do once in a while), but because it's quick and I don't have to make a trip to the post office to get a money order. The fee generally amounts to around 3% of the payment (Nathan's 10% is way too high).
One thing - credit card payments made by international buyers are riskier than those from the USA and Canada. That's because the international credit card verification process is much less reliable and so you are more exposed to fraud and chargebacks. I take PAYPAL and BILLPOINT from international buyers all the time, so far without problems, but I suppose my time is coming.
BILLPOINT is easier and quicker to sign up for than PAYPAL, plus it's easier to add to your aution. Furthermore, even if you weren't a BILLPOINT member at the beginning of your auction, you can still become one at any time during or even after.
It's a plus if your address is verified. PAYPAL seller protections don't apply to those without a verified address. This takes a couple weeks because PAYPAL must send you an actual letter, which contains a code you must enter online (so they know it's truly you) to become verified.
For what it's worth, BILLPOINT is backed by a bank and carries some protection under Federal banking laws, while PAYPAL isn't. I don't keep money in either system long enough for this to be a concern.
PAYPAL allows you to keep money or your account that can be used to pay other sellers. This money carries no fee to the seller. Some Ebay sellers don't like those fees, so sometimes this is a plus.
That's all I can think of at the moment. Try either/both - in the long run, you'll get higher bids because you can accept credit card payments.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on October 07, 2001 at 09:38 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've sold over £2000 with of goods on Ebay UK and I only accept cheques, postal orders, money orders or cash (secure post).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
last I checked paypal allowed up to $100 a month in free card transactions, for anything over that you had to be a paying member.
billpoint charges for everything, but IS much smoother.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The reason I chose PAYPAL over Billpoint is that the former charges the seller while the latter charges the BUYER. As a seller, I wouldn't want my buyers to PAY extra for using something (credit card) that makes things easier for both of us. I wouldn't want to do so as a buyer.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks