What's new

Easy Way To See If Your ISP Is Throttling You (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this test any different than running speed test.net ?
This should be the bandwidth your ISP provides you for watching Netflix. It also shows the bandwidth that Netflix is providing to you as well. This result should be related to the video quality you get.

Speedtest.net is the bandwidth your ISP provides you to your local speedtest servers. But there have long been allegations that ISPs intentionally cheat to give goo speedtest results that don't necessarily indicate performance for anything else. And ISPs have throttled Netflix, so speedtest is definitely not a good metric for Netflix streaming. And I've seen times when I've got good internet speeds but downloads from Apple or Microsoft are crawling, or YouTube video is stuttering. I don't know if this due to their capacity or my ISP. What I know is that speedtest isn't telling me anything practical about a specific connection.

So Netflix seems to be saying: Here's your connection to us, specifically.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
100-120 at the link
200-230 on speedtest.

I was actually up for 30 a year ago with TWC then they bumped me to 100 and then their 200 plan all on their own.
I just recently upgraded the modem from a Moto 6141 which was limited to around 120-130 to Arris/Moto 6183 to take advantage of the extra horsepower.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just got this. I have ATT 300 Mbps plan. But this is from my iPhone. How does one test what's coming into the Tv.

I have mine connected wired to the router.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 106

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just got this. I have ATT 300 Mbps plan. But this is from my iPhone. How does one test what's coming into the Tv.

You test it on your iPhone using its wi-fi not the cell signal...

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm aware of that.

That still doesn't answer my question.

I get different results depending on the device I use that link.

I phone I get near 300.
Samsung tablet barely 40

No way to see what's going to the tv.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm aware of that.

That still doesn't answer my question.

I get different results depending on the device I use that link.

I phone I get near 300.
Samsung tablet barely 40

No way to see what's going to the tv.

It did answer your question, actually.

My suggestion was to use a device with your home wi-fi and you did that with your Samsung tablet. That more or less tells you what's going to your TV (for Netflix). Forget what the phone says, that's just measuring your cell service.

Now using the tablet again access speed test.net and compare that result to the 40 you got before and see if there's a difference...

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My cell also has wifi as does my tablet.

Yes, but if you said you're on the AT&T 300 Mbps plan and using the test shows 310 Mbps, then you're using the phone's cell signal, which if why I'm trying to get you to forget about the phone for the purposes of seeing what kind of Internet your TV is getting...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh we aren't connecting the right idea on this.

Using my wifi on my tablet I cannot get higher than 36 mbps using the nf test
Using wifi on my iPhone I get higher than 300 mbps neither of those tell me what mbps I get watching nf on my tv.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I get:

Ping - 61
Download - 3.51
Upload - 0.62

CenturyLink DSL, part of the triple pak from Dish Network. They're great for TV but farm out the internet/phone.

That is why, even though I can't stand the company, I'm switching phone/internet to Comcast next month. Not a lot of choice in my area, they basically have a monopoly, but I'm burned out on the putt-putt speed I've been getting, just had to let the contract run out.

Truly doubt CenturyLink is throttling me, couldn't be much slower. With that speed I wouldn't even begin to download a movie or TV show, so my data usage wouldn't be an issue.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
100-120 at the link
200-230 on speedtest.

I was actually up for 30 a year ago with TWC then they bumped me to 100 and then their 200 plan all on their own.
I just recently upgraded the modem from a Moto 6141 which was limited to around 120-130 to Arris/Moto 6183 to take advantage of the extra horsepower.

Requoting my previous numbers. i have consistently gotten 100-120 a fast.com com adn speedtest 180-220 using Firefox
Switching to Opera, Chrome, or IE I got 200-230 on both sites. Probably ought to try Edge, but I haven't quite figured out the difference betwwen IE and Edge so far.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
150mb/ps according to fast.com which is what I am paying for.

Speed Test

8_25_2016 Speed.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not see how anyone could get anywhere near 300mbps on there 4G cell phone.

I have Verizon and am only getting 17mbps - 20mbps over wifi and 2.7mbps - 3.2mbps on a 4G connection and I get 150mbps on my fiber optic internet. You sure your not getting 300kbps to your phone? Do you have a laptop or pc you could hook up to your router?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm getting 16 with Time Warner Cable.

Since it's Time Warner Cable, I suppose I'm lucky that it's not even less...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I do not see how anyone could get anywhere near 300mbps on there 4G cell phone.

I have Verizon and am only getting 17mbps - 20mbps over wifi and 2.7mbps - 3.2mbps on a 4G connection and I get 150mbps on my fiber optic internet. You sure your not getting 300kbps to your phone?

It depends what kind of plan you're paying for. You can have a plan that ranges from 1mps to 1000mps...

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I am under the impression that 4G is not even capable of that kind of speed.

The people who are using their phones for this test are using the phone's wi-fi to test their ISP's (Comcast, Century Link, Time Warner, Fios, ATT, etc), not their cell service...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks