What's new

Easy way to cover speaker and power wires on floor (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Great choice for a new forum, admins!
I finished installing my theater but now I have wires running along the side walls of the room to the speakers. I am looking for advice on some kind a plastic or rubber runner or strip that I can put over the wires to keep them away from the cats and eventually the new baby. If it comes in various colors that would be even better. I was hoping for beige.
Aesthetics are not #1, hiding the wires is. Aesthetics would be a bonus.
Thank you!
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have wire channels that I use to run the cables for the front 4 speakers (L,R,C, sub). At the time, I got them from Radio Shack. They come in different sizes and have a sticky backing that I used to attach to the baseboards and they have a cover that you "peel" on and off to get access to the wires. They can also be run along a ceiling and look great.
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

I got some beige ones at Home Depot that look very inconspicuous. They seem to be intended for lamps and things, but they hold two heavy Monster Cable speaker wires quite well. They're tubular with double stick tape on a flattened side. The tube only curves about 320 degrees or so, so there's an opening to stuff in the wire. They had lengths of 5 feet, plus other packages with 3 feet sections and various corner pieces. The plastic cuts very easily too. For what I spent, I was really pleased with how it looks.
-Jason

Al Rebchook

Agent
It's not exactly the answer to the question, but can't you just rip out the baseboard?
That's what I did. Pull it out, cut out some of the drywall at the bottom of the wall, run the wires under the drywall, reinstall the baseboard, and it's like new.
Takes a bit more effort, but not all that hard to do.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Thanks guys. Radio Shack in my neighborhood just scratched their heads. My experience there is that the managers know stuff and the regular guys that work there are always at some basic stage of learning.
frown.gif

I will go take a look at the ones at Home Depot. You have given me some good ideas.
I am not pulling the baseboards off BTW. :) That is for someone handier than I that knows how to remove them without cracking them. Thanks, tho.
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

David Range

Agent
I'm not sure if this would work in your situation, but if you have baseboards on the walls you could try pulling them off and stuffing the wires in the gap between the floor and the drywall. I've been told there's usually a 1/4" gap between them. Then simply drill a small hole where you want the speaker wire to come out or run it up the wall a little further and finish it off with a wall plate. I'm not sure if this is myth, but someone once mention that running power cables and speaker cables together may cause interference.
David

David Range

Agent
Ivan, pulling the baseboard is actually a very simple process. :) All you need is a nailset, hammer, finish nails, a stiff putty knife, and studfinder. If you can see the nails that fasten the baseboard to the studs, use the nailset to drive them through the back of the baseboard, then gently pull the baseboard off. It shouldn't crack if you found all the nails. If you can't see the nails, it's a bit trickier. The baseboard should be nailed in at the stud locations, usually every 16" OC. Simply insert the putty knife at the stud locations and pry genty. It should loosen the baseboard enough for you to pull it off. Then run the wires, and re-attach the baseboard. Fill the nail holes with
color matched putty and you're done. :)
All told, the materials will probably cost less than the channels and will provide a cleaner look.
David
BTW, the Audi TT kicks ass. My best friends parents had one just like yours and traded it in for the 2001 Audi TT convertible. I'm jealous.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
If possible, go to an electronics supply shop that stocks networking wiring gear. They will have probably have wire channels (a la home depot) except in bigger and more varied sizes. You can run them over the baseboards and then paint them to match your wall.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hardware stores carry stick-on plastic wire molding that looks pretty professional if done right. I put some up very quickly and it still looks decent, I just should have marked it a bit to make sure it was dead-on straight. But it looks good and will hold several wires. I have a phone, coax and network cable running in mine right now.
They come in white mostly, but could be colored. If someone doesn't link to a picture of some at some point, I will take some pictures of mine to post.
The stuff is only like $5 for about 4' and packages come with several long runs and various straight and corner connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks