What's new

Earthquake (Blu-ray) Now Available for preorder (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
A funny thing has happened to me with regards to big-studio Blu-rays: I no longer want them. Unless it's a major title like The Abyss (it'll never come out if the release is dependent on Cameron catching a break from shooting Avatar 2), I have little to no interest in anything from the majors. There is zero effort from the big guys in the PQ, extras or packaging departments and I don't see that changing. Perhaps we've been spoiled from years of extravagant deluxe editions of mostly everything or maybe the studios believe that most folks just don't care about anything but having the movie in high-def, I don't know. I've received most studio announcements this year with a "so what" attitude.

OTOH, the work being done by small independents like Shout Factory, Scorpion, Synapse and others is truly incredible and I await each and every announcement with baited breath. They're doing things the right way because they are fans of the films they're releasing and while making money is always nice, the priority seems to be providing the best available package for a reasonable price. Shout Factory alone has so many great titles in store that it boggles the mind.

I'll grab EARTHQUAKE when I see it for $4.99 at the supermarket. I'll feel cheated if I spent anything more than that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree with you completely Cinemaniac. I'll buy this when it hits around $10 cdn. Meanwhile I'm buying everything Vinegar Syndrome puts out. It's hilarious, a film like "Massage Parlor Murders" is getting the bluray treatment of astonishing quality considering the source material and sold at retail, but Warner's doesn't see value in "The Hudsucker Proxy" so it's archive/online only?

So yeah, Shout/Scream Factory, Criterion and Vinegar Syndrome are seeing all the money Warners and Uni used to get out of me.

Seeing how Earthquake is pretty much barebones, I'm in no rush to grab it. I'll keep it tucked away my Amazon cart until it hits a sale.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Am I alone in thinking Universal should have put this, Rollercoaster, Midway, and Battlestar Galactica into a Sensurround box set with enhanced LFE?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Stephen_J_H said:
Am I alone in thinking Universal should have put this, Rollercoaster, Midway, and Battlestar Galactica into a Sensurround box set with enhanced LFE?
It amazes me that the fans in threads like this know better how to market movies than the studios themselves. I am sure a set like that, Stephen, might have sold to anyone who saw those in sensurround, if even just for nostalgia. It would have been a clever way of marketing the four films together, and would certainly have not only grabbed attention from fans of the individual movies but sound buffs as well.

If I might make a suggestion, let Universal know. Go to Universalstudios website and click on "Contact Us." Let them know we wanted more out of Earthquake (at least Midway has extras). Sure, it might not get us a new edition, but it can't hurt to let them know. Personally, I am angry that there isn't even a trailer.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have the original 35mm Earthquake Sensurround trailer, and it has never been opened from its studio wrap. About a year ago, 7 months ago and the day Earthquake was announced, I sent a postal letter (yes 3 times) with suggestions for the Earthquake disc that would have included the trailer I have, if they didn't have one anymore, and to use the sensurround warning at the beginning of the film, those two additions would cost almost nothing for them. Then I suggested extras in addition like the TV footage and certainly other things that are in their vaults. I sent this letter to Craig Kornblau, head of Universal Home Video saying I would be happy to send them the trailer. Never did I get a response.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I might add If Universal cared about their covers instead of using the abysmal artwork for the Blu-ray that they created, something like the ones I created would have attracted more buys
A FINAL COVER black small for emails.jpg

A FINAL COVER sky and grass small for email.jpg

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
JohnMor said:
Loved Genevieve Bujold! Had a HUGE crush on her. Still do, I guess.
Me too. Aside from being cute, she's a great actress. I think she's excellent in Anne Of The Thousand Days.

Im a huge fan of Earthquake (and Battlestar, and Midway, and The Hindenburg, and Rollercoaster!). It's so full of entertainment:

Ticked off cop George Kennedy
A crazed Marjoe Gortner
A curly haired Victoria Principal
Ava Gardner hysterics
Richard Roundtree (Shaft meets Evel Knievel)
Walter Matthau sporting pimp threads
And Charlton Heston and Geneviève Bujold in the middle of it all.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd would of liked if Universal at least gave Earthquake some special features like an audio commentary or two, a docmentary/featurette on the special effects of Earthquake, trailer/TV spots, and lastly the TV version as well.

I'd love for Universal to release Rollercoaster on Blu-ray and even better see them release Two-Minute Warning as well.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
clambake said:
Me too. Aside from being cute, she's a great actress. I think she's excellent in Anne Of The Thousand Days.

Im a huge fan of Earthquake (and Battlestar, and Midway, and The Hindenburg, and Rollercoaster!). It's so full of entertainment:

Ticked off cop George Kennedy
A crazed Marjoe Gortner
A curly haired Victoria Principal
Ava Gardner hysterics
Richard Roundtree (Shaft meets Evel Knievel)
Walter Matthau sporting pimp threads
And Charlton Heston and Geneviève Bujold in the middle of it all.
LOVE her in Anne of the Thousand Days. Terrific performance!

Now you're making me nostalgic to see Earthquake again! Didn't think that was really possible.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Watched this last night and was very impressed with the PQ the sound set is -

English 5.1 DTS MA

English 2.1 DTS Digital Surround plus Sensurround

I played the 5.1 to hear the Stereo Track , I saw this at the Empire in London in 70mm and Sensurround and
remember going up the box to see the equipment a lovely cinema.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Matt Hough said:
I have a feeling if Earthquake sells well, we'll certainly see The Hindenburg.
What a bittersweet-beautiful motion picture. From first frame to last, elegantly designed, staged, and shot. I don't think Albert Whitlock's matte paintings have ever been more evocative, nor the model work in general more convincing. David Shire's elegiac score was hauntingly reflective throughout.

Unfortunately, The Hindenburg got lumped in with other disaster films of the era, but it was really something else. Most significantly, the actual disaster occurs in the 3rd act, not at the end of the 1st act. And because there is no 2nd act escape here, there is none of the usual character-revealing fire and brimstone action set pieces along the way. If there is any urgent flight from catastrophe, it's from the political posturing, and ethnic persecution of pre-WWII Germany. At the time, some of these retro Ship of Fools / Voyage of the Damned dramatic elements were heavily criticized, but they never really seemed out of place to me. I thought they worked marvellously for this particular subject...assuming you were willing to view the Hindenburg disaster as a 'culmination' rather than mere 'catalyst'.

As typical for Robert Wise, he researched his subject like crazy and marshalled the very best resources of the studio system to deliver an across-the-crafts first class motion picture. So I hope Universal restores and remasters this undervalued gem for Blu-ray with the same level of quality and care that went into its production.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Saw THE HINDENBURG a couple of times when new, at the Chinese, then not for many years. When I watched a DVD a couple of years ago I was very impressed with the whole thing, much of which I'd forgotten.

The only unfortunately cheesy thing for me is those "dramatic" freeze frames as the action of the tragedy unfolds. Well, it was the seventies, after all.

But it's a unique film and I look forward to having it on Blu.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Charles Smith said:
The only unfortunately cheesy thing for me is those "dramatic" freeze frames as the action of the tragedy unfolds. Well, it was the seventies, after all.
As I recall from Wise's comments in Cinefantastique, there was also a running time/pacing consideration for that choice...that freeze frame trick was needed to extend the intercut original documentary footage because there just wasn't enough of it. This way Wise was able to more clearly show what was happening simultaneously at various points in his fictional story.

BTW, sorry to hijack this Earthquake thread with a sidebar discussion of The Hindenburg, but I feel that the chances of the latter ever reaching us on Blu-ray might very well depend on the success of the former.

So please buy Earthquake, and tell all your friends. I'll be here all this week, and do try the veal... ;)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
DP 70 said:
c
English 5.1 DTS MA

I played the 5.1 to hear the Stereo Track , I saw this at the Empire in London in 70mm and Sensurround and

Interesting sound selection! DP70: Is there a difference between the 2.0 and 5.1 as far as stereo separation? I would assume the 5.1 would also have the same bass track as the 2.1, is the bass the same? Actually it should be a bit better on the 5.1. How does this compare to the 70mm version you saw? Sound and picture-wise (of course I know that Sensurround cannot be duplicated in the same way in the home but curious about the bass track).

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
RobertSiegel said:
c
English 5.1 DTS MA

Interesting sound selection! DP70: Is there a difference between the 2.0 and 5.1 as far as stereo separation? I would assume the 5.1 would also have the same bass track as the 2.1, is the bass the same? Actually it should be a bit better on the 5.1. How does this compare to the 70mm version you saw? Sound and picture-wise (of course I know that Sensurround cannot be duplicated in the same way in the home but curious about the bass track).

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Russell G said:
I agree with you completely Cinemaniac. I'll buy this when it hits around $10 cdn. Meanwhile I'm buying everything Vinegar Syndrome puts out. It's hilarious, a film like "Massage Parlor Murders" is getting the bluray treatment of astonishing quality considering the source material and sold at retail, but Warner's doesn't see value in "The Hudsucker Proxy" so it's archive/online only?

So yeah, Shout/Scream Factory, Criterion and Vinegar Syndrome are seeing all the money Warners and Uni used to get out of me.

Seeing how Earthquake is pretty much barebones, I'm in no rush to grab it. I'll keep it tucked away my Amazon cart until it hits a sale.
Your comment says it all.
Stephen_J_H said:
They should just do a disaster movie boxed set. Period. But yes, enhanced Sensurround LFE would be greatly appreciated. Earthquake's quake scenes pretty much fail without it.
RobertSiegel said:
It amazes me that the fans in threads like this know better how to market movies than the studios themselves. I am sure a set like that, Stephen, might have sold to anyone who saw those in sensurround, if even just for nostalgia. It would have been a clever way of marketing the four films together, and would certainly have not only grabbed attention from fans of the individual movies but sound buffs as well.

If I might make a suggestion, let Universal know. Go to Universalstudios website and click on "Contact Us." Let them know we wanted more out of Earthquake (at least Midway has extras). Sure, it might not get us a new edition, but it can't hurt to let them know. Personally, I am angry that there isn't even a trailer.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have the original 35mm Earthquake Sensurround trailer, and it has never been opened from its studio wrap. About a year ago, 7 months ago and the day Earthquake was announced, I sent a postal letter (yes 3 times) with suggestions for the Earthquake disc that would have included the trailer I have, if they didn't have one anymore, and to use the sensurround warning at the beginning of the film, those two additions would cost almost nothing for them. Then I suggested extras in addition like the TV footage and certainly other things that are in their vaults. I sent this letter to Craig Kornblau, head of Universal Home Video saying I would be happy to send them the trailer. Never did I get a response.
Usual practice by Universal boneheads when it comes to their classics.
ROclockCK said:
As I recall from Wise's comments in Cinefantastique, there was also a running time/pacing consideration for that choice...that freeze frame trick was needed to extend the intercut original documentary footage because there just wasn't enough of it. This way Wise was able to more clearly show what was happening simultaneously at various points in his fictional story.

BTW, sorry to hijack this Earthquake thread with a sidebar discussion of The Hindenburg, but I feel that the chances of the latter ever reaching us on Blu-ray might very well depend on the success of the former.

So please buy Earthquake, and tell all your friends. I'll be here all this week, and do try the veal... ;)
Your comment also says it all.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I tried the 2.1 vs the 5.1 and there was definitely more substantial low frequency from the 5.1 - and it was much improved over the dvd as one would expect. I had the floor vibrating quite nicely with two SVS cylinder subs - one is the PC 13 Ultra for those familiar with the company and to give an idea of what I was using. Those who own anything substantial should be able to have some fun.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
Overall happy with blu-ray. Screened in 5.1, panic from upstairs neighbor at one point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mine arrived today. It may be tonight's viewing selection. I have a few other choices on tap, too, so I haven't decided yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks