What's new

EARTH 2 (Street Date 7/19/05) (contains spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's 4 discs, and yes they appear to be dual-layer. There are three episodes per side, except for side 1 which contains the double-episode pilot. Side 8 holds the final episode, plus the extras (which I haven't gotten to yet).

M.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Michael, did you notice some audio glitches in EP 2? The audio cut out and was only audible from the left speaker in two spots in the episode.

I also noticed a very odd yellow pattern in the clouds at the end of the pilot (basically the last shot). They both seem like small glitches, but a bit distracting.

Gord

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Haven't played ep. 2 yet, but I'll pay attention when I do.

I saw that too, and it was interesting. It was confined to a specific area in the sky, almost as if it was intended as a special effect (but obviously it couldn't be). I wish I had a tape of an old broadcast for comparison, but maybe someone else will.

M.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just noticed that Netflix has this series listed a 8 discs. How did they get the single discs? I would rather have 8 single sided discs that 3 dual sided.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Scott, any double-sided set is produced in a "rental-ready" format for rental stores. It's not available for consumers to purchase though.

Gord

TroyMM

Grip
I just ordered this from amazon.ca yesterday. It's a blind buy for me, hope it's as good as people say it is.

Tom gre

Agent
Hi
does anyone know if there where 22 or 21 eps of Earth 2?
i have just got the Earth 2 dvd set it just has 21 eps on it

thank you

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It depends on how you count them. The DVD set treats the 2-hour pilot as one episode, which is why there are 21 episodes on the set.

Other listings treat the pilot as 2 episodes, which would give you a total of 22. E.g.:

http://www.epguides.com/Earth2/

M.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
When the series was originally aired, the pilot was shown as a film. I think in repeat, and then in syndication (SciFI), it's been shown as two separate parts. But as originally shown, Earth 2 had 21 episodes.

I don't suppose they included the promo reel for the second season that never happened? My set's on order - one of my favorite shows. And to think I discovered it because it aired immediately before seaQuest DSV, and I'd tune in to make sure my recorder started off at the right time. :>

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Hi, Troy

We're probably "biased" on this thread :D but it should be a sure-thing blind buy for you. I found it to be a refreshingly original idea for a SciFi series when I watched it during its original airing. I also have the DVD set coming this week.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I would gladly pay another $5 for single-sided discs in double thinpacks. I've spoken out against 2-up packaging enough before... it is truly awful. It is user UNfriendly, and disc UNfriendly.

This type of packaging is so bad that I have avoided buying some DVDs that come packaged this way - including some other Universal product (Universal, are you listening?). I wanted Earth2 bad enough that I couldn't resist.

Picked up the set today... haven't had a chance to pop it in my player, though.

-Scott

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
The disc case design isn't the best, but at least you can get the discs out easy compared to some other DVD case designs. I do wish they went with two double thinkpak cases though. I noticed the yellow patterning at the end of the first episode. I also noticed an episode (Promises, Promises) on side b of disc one had a small part that was darker and grainer than it should have been.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
David, I think there's some horrible yellow "stuff" in one of the disc 2, side a episodes as well. I was watching it on my portable player, so I have to rewatch that scene on my regular TV to make sure.

Gord

Douglas M

Grip
The yellow sky was in the original broadcast. I don't know if this was done in post-production or if it's some anomoly of the New Mexico sky. You can tell it's not a DVD error because it can also be seen in the "Previously..." for episode 2.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Gord, I'll look for the yellow stuff when I watch disc two. I have just been watching three different DVDs at the moment (two TV on DVD sets and THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks