What's new

Early thoughts on the Panny PT-L200u LCD FP (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yeah Tim, those shots looked amazing. I'm just wondering what a screen color like that would do to screen-door effect and black levels from an LCD. Next weekend I will try do a screen sample with the Rust-Oleum. My DIY curiosity is peeked.

Peace Out~:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The silver paint is what I am using on my screen. I agree that silver works better than gray did...

I have an extensive thread on it (about 5 months ago) and the process of trying out various shades of gray and silver. I also believe I posted and read through that "17 page" thread sometime afterward as well. Anyway, I found that they gray coloured the image (added a tint of blue) nothing that AVIA could probably not compensate somewhat for, but silver gave the same benefits of increasing black level that gray did but also had a higher gain for punchier colours. The trick is finding a silver paint that is "matte" because you will get hotspotting and ambient light in the room will reflect more off the screen otherwise.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ron,

I'm glad your such a DIY guy and can figure all this out for the rest of us unDIYer's! :D

I think I know alot about home theater stuff in general, but when it comes to DIY, I just as soon buy a scratched up floor model. I've only recently learned the difference between a flathead and a Philips! HA!....

And My Projector is HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Gollum in TTT when he rids the "other" personality and becomes quite giddy..hopping around??? That was me about 10 minutes ago.

Been reading the manual etc....but I have a few questions that are confusing:

1. Vertical keystone correction? I really don't know what this all means. Bottom line, where does my projector need to go to avoid any keystone correction? Right now, it appears to be centered-about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen height. I can get this to be nearly exactly in the middle of the screen (height wise) if this would help????

2. Does the power need to be on for any length of time before watching something? The manual doesn't say but I've read where some users think it should be...

Thanks for any help. I should be able to have alot more time this evening after work but wanted to see about those issues first.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mr. unDIYer, congrats on the new arrival...cigar's anyone:)

As for keystone and keystone correction, I think ProjectorCentral.com does a better job than myself...so;

Keystone Correction: Keystone correction makes a projected image rectangular. This can be accomplished by positioning the projector to be perpendicular to the screen. Since this is not always possible, most projectors are equipped with keystone correction that allows the image to be keystone corrected (made rectangular) by adjusting optics, making mechanical adjustments, or applying digital correction to the image. Keystone correction can be one or two dimensional and manual or automatic depending on the projector and the manufacturer.
As for the power, it takes less than 2 minutes to warm up and your good to go.

Get into it Tim...it's not like you've been working today anyway;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ok, very quick update: Keystone correction is not a problem. Thanks Ron for the info on that :)

My early problem is what Ron first posted on page 1 regarding the short throw distance. One just really never knows until they have it in place though. From my 1st choice of projector placement (centered on the audio rack against the wall between 2 love seats) is tooooooooo long a throw it seems as the image is about 8-10 inches off the screen. My screen is 4x8 feet which comes to right at 106 diagonal 16x9. I really thought I could get away with it. HA!

I've only glanced a bit at the manual but there appears to be no zoom mode to shrink the image?????? Like I said, I haven't messed with it very long. But it appears, like Ron, I will have to be creative and think of another projector placement.

Haven't really tweaked the picture quality controls due to the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big image.

Adice always welcome.

More to come later. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

First let me say I fixed the throw issue (at least for now). It's not a perfect remedy, but one I can live with until I have more time.

Ron was right....right out of the box this thing looks mighty good. I haven't really tweaked this yet with Video Essentials and I don't even have a Progressive Scan dvd player yet...just used component with my existing dvd player.

I think I preferred Cinema 2 and used Ron's -15 on the brightness, -2 on Sharpness. Wasn't too much difference using High or Low for lamp mode so I just used Low.

AOTC on dvd was stunning. Simply jaw-dropping. I posted this comment in the Movies section (Star Wars thread) that this dvd on this LCD display reminded me alot of seeing AOTC last summer in a DLP theater. I know that's probably overstating it a bit, but the colors, contrast and even black levels were quite good.

There was some screendoor issues at times. Kind of random too. Certainly not distracting. For an image that's 106" 16x9...I'm probably too close but can live with it.

Did some minor de-focusing...helped a little w/out smearing the image.

My trusty old laserdisc didn't fair too well I'm afraid. going to look into the DVDO Iscan to perhaps help????

FOTR:EE, Monster's Inc. all looked fabulous. Pearl Harbor-Vista Series looked very good, but had a bit more grain than the other dvds. Not bad, just noticed it a little.

Last thing then I have got to hit the sack: This is a pretty big image that I'm projecting and you all are correct when you say that nearly everthing is reflective with FP. My room is really not FP ready. My walls have that light brown, shiny paneling...I haven't even made the black border around the screen (just bought black velveteen last night)...even the side walls were getting some light back.

I'm sure that when I give my room the proper treatments, and even upgrade to a progressive scan dvd, the image will be fantastic.

Just as my room is now, this baby is really good. A definite keeper!

I wouldn't have ever known about this LCD unit had it not been for Ron-P. Everyone was concentrating on the Infocus X1 and the Panny L300U....

Thanks Ron!!! :)

TimDoss

Second Unit
Ron, I've painted a sheet of formica with rustoleum high heat silver, works great... I tried rustoleum metallic silver and while the colors were a lot brighter you could
see little sparkles on the screen, especially when
the picture was of the blue sky. The sparkles were very
distracting, even on a 2'x 2' test piece. It was also very
hard to get an even coat. The high heat silver goes on
pretty well, after 4 cans and 5 coats I got a finish on my
100" screen that I'm very happy with. I'm using it with an
X1... the difference between this and a plain white screen
was amazing. I have no reservations on recommending the
high heat silver.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
There was some screen-door issues at times. Kind of random too. Certainly not distracting. For an image that's 106" 16x9...I'm probably too close but can live with it.
Tim, it might not be screen-door you are seeing, but rather scan lines. I notice them also but very rarely.

Anyway, very happy to hear your results. Congrats man!

chris_clem

Second Unit
First of all I would like to give a big "Thank you!" to Ron and all the other people here at HTF for the wealth of information being shared to all us "Home theater newbies". ;)

I was actually dead set on purchasing a RPTV for my newly assembled 5.1 system (B&W's with an Onkyo reciever both bought with much help from HTF-ers) but I was quite surprised to find out that a decent entry level FPTV could be had at around the same pricepoint I was considering (around $2000). Granted, its a little more involved to put together and the amount of time spent tweaking and learning is quite daunting, IMHO, the pay-off of a HUGE screen is just priceless. :)

My questions may be a little off-topic though so I hope no one minds too much:

How long has the L200u been available? Does anyone know when this particular model might be replaced with a newer one?

I am asking this because at the moment I am at least a good 6 months away from having the resources to purchase this thing so if anyone has any information regarding this it would be greatly appreciated. ( I just don't want to buy something and then have a better version of it come out a few weeks later, I know many of you have also experienced this before! :D )

Once again, thanks for all the updates Ron, I look forward to continue hearing about all the details...

Chris

chris rick

Second Unit
Well I've fully tweaked my projector now and the results are staggering for a price of 1099! I can't believe how great this looks for the price...it is simply beautiful once fully calibrated. As a final touch I got some nice, inexpensive velvet tab curtains (maroon) and have also installed them with a nice curtain rod. I am so proud of my new setup, I wanna post some pictures with screen shots, but lack a digital camera. Maybe I can borrow one off of my friend :D For those looking to move into projector territory that don't have a lot of money to invest, this is a great deal for what this machine can do. I'll try sometime soon to get some screen shots up. Thanks again to Ron and the rest of the HTF for helping to solidify my purchase, as I had been looking at this projector for sometime but never knew the 1099 deal was even out there!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Chris, did use AVIA or VE to calibrate. Also, please share your settings. I know they'll very from PJ to PJ and room to room, but it's always nice to see where others have landed.

Also, get that digital and post some pics.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
You guys are absolutley killing me. If anybody post screen shots and they look good I am going to scream. I have wanted a FPTV for a long time, but my wife has always said no. The other day she said, " Can't we get a projector instead?" :emoji_thumbsup: I had my heart set on the X1 and now this thread pops up.

Unfortunatly something has just come up and money is a little tight!! I plan on using this mostly for DVD's, football, and Madden on my PS2.

Thanks for all of the info Ron and Tim. Keep it coming.

Brandon

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ron,
You're right about the very random & minor scan lines. I confused that with screen door. My daughters and I watched about 4 movies yesterday! The more time one spends with the projector, the more there is to learn about the whole front proj scheme. So far I've stuck with the Cinema 2 setting, -15 on brightness, and -2 on sharpness. Watching Laserdiscs thru s-video, I tweaked it more. Tried the color temp and think that 0 is probably the most natural setting for my eyes.

I haven't really spent a great deal of time with the manual, other than basic info. But we're headed out of town here shortly to visit the parents so I'll have plenty of time to give this manual justice. :D

I borrowed a friends Video Essentials dvd as well. And will try this when we get back in town next week.

And I really need to be looking at some curtain material too as my shiny panel walls are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too reflective.

One thing that I haven't mastered is the image size of the proj. I've moved the coffee table ever so slightly to get that perfect screen image to where it at least comes close to filling the screen. Watching 2.35;1 movies are fine, although the small black bar area on top/bottom of the image is a little off the screen. I can usually zoom it a bit to help, but still a little is off the screen. When I get the 6inch black velveteen border around the screen I suppose this will help some?

1.85;1 images are taller than the screen though. (my screen is a 4x8 parkland) I do a little zooming again and ever so slightly move the coffee table up a bit and this takes care of it. I'm sure there's a more scientific way of viewing these different aspect ratios without having to move the proj or zoom????? Still, this proj moving is really only a gentle slide of a few inches.

My screen may be too narrow. I may need to try the 5x8 parkland. I haven't even opened the 77inch Da-lite screen that came with the proj.

I'm also even more amazed at the image quality with regards to just using parkland plastic material for a screen with no black borders yet, still have very reflective walls, and the projector placement feels a bit like I'm guessing as I go! :D

Has anyone tried painting the parkland gray? The texture appears to be one that would be hard to paint though.

Ok, we're out of here for now. Everyone enjoy their weekend and keep giving front projector newbies your thoughts! :)

Brandon, good luck with your decision. I think the L200U sale at Proj. People ends June 30. But hey, the timing has to be right for all of us in regards to buying decisions and getting the real priorities right. One thing I've learned about HT stuff, another good deal emerges quickly. Do what's best for you and family. :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
1.85;1 images are taller than the screen though. (my screen is a 4x8 parkland) I do a little zooming again and ever so slightly move the coffee table up a bit and this takes care of it. I'm sure there's a more scientific way of viewing these different aspect ratios without having to move the proj or zoom?????
Tim,

Moving the projector or adjusting the zoom are the only two ways of changing the image size. I am assuming that you are using a 4x8 Parkland that has not been cropped down to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

If you crop the width of the Parkland sheet from 8' (96") down to about 85 1/2", that will give you a 16:9 aspect ratio that matches the aspect ratio of the LCD panel. You can then position the projector and adjust the zoom such that a 16:9 image fits the screen perfectly. For 2.35:1 movies you will have black bars on the top and bottom, but at least you won't need to move the projector depending on the aspect ratio.

Let us know how the velveteen border works out for you. I have a blackout cloth screen without a border and have been looking for material that I can use for a black border (I might go with duvetyne tape or something like that).

-D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Tim,

Do as Deepak recommends and build yourself a true 16:9 screen. Sure, you'll have black bars for 2:35.1 material but a black fabric can help with those (I bought black felt for this). When viewing 4:3 material, use the aspect button on the remote to properly display that material.

When you do this, you'll not have to move the projector, coffee table or adjust the zoom.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Ron,

What kind of a masking scheme do you use ? I have a blackout cloth screen and I don't want to get too fancy with pulleys and stuff. But I am looking for ideas on some kind of simple masking (especially for the 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 aspect ratios).

Thanks,
-D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just picked up the felt and have yet to figure out a method of attachment. Most likely, I'll start with velcro, attach that to the felt and screen and see how it works out. I'm like you though, nothing fancy.

I may try and locate some 6' wide matte board from the local art supply house, cut to fit and cover it with the felt, that would work out perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks