What's new

Early Amazon Preorder: Last of the Mohicans (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
In general, I much prefer the theatical cut, but the Director's cut does have some superior elements. I am especially thinking of the scene of Duncan's squad squaring off against the French outside the fort to provide cover for the escaping couriers.

As said above, Chingachgook's extra dialog at the end was a horrible choice by Mann.

scribe1964

Grip
Real Name
Ric
For me, there are things about both cuts that I like and dislike, so I'd like to recut the movie myself! I'm expecting this to be a third version. And while I would I agree that the theatrical cut should be included, I don't think it's likely. Mann has a habit of rewriting history. The theatrical cut of "Thief" hasn't been on DVD (at least not in the US) and there have been so many different versions of "Manhunter," I don't think I would even recognize the original. It's really unfortunate, from an historical POV.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Originally Posted by scribe1964

there have been so many different versions of "Manhunter," I don't think I would even recognize the original. It's really unfortunate, from an historical POV.

Actually, Manhunter is not nearly as confusing as it seems. Anchor Bay had the rights for a while and released a slew of DVDs of it, with three or four different versions, including one erroneously called the "theatrical cut".

However those are all long out of print and the DVD and Blu-Ray of Manhunter currently in print in the US from MGM is the unaltered theatrical cut.

The only reason I picked up one of the Anchor Bay discs was for Mann's commentary.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

I've never seen the Director's Cut, so I'm not complaining. Amazon's price is reasonable, too.

And if you buy this Blu-Ray, it seems like you'll still never have seen the 1999 "Director's Expended Edition," as I have to assume the new "Director's Definitive Cut" is a third version of the film. Knowing Mann' I find it highly unlikely that this so-called "Definitive" cut will actually be that. I'm sure he'll have another go at it eventually

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would be a pleasant surprise if the Director's "Definitive" Cut turned out to be the Theatrical Cut again, but Mann's ego just couldn't relent to admitting that (was better) or calling it that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Okay, after viewing this recent BRD in its entirety, I can say it's not the prior director's cut. This version runs exactly 114 minutes and 33 seconds. The original ending appears to be back in place without Chingachgook's speech. Some of the original cuts are back in place too, but it's not the original version of the film.

IMO, some of you might be happy with this version as it might be the closest to the orignal version, you'll see in some time. The video is darker on this BRD, but for the most part, I'm happy with it's presentation.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's actually good news. I'm going to put this
title back on my preorder list after hearing that it's

closer to the original cut.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the information Robert. Still on the fence, but this has me leaning closer to a purchase.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

Thanks for the information Robert. Still on the fence, but this has me leaning closer to a purchase.

- Walter.

Amazon is now selling this BRD title for 14.99.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert - I caved after my last post and put it in my Amazon order. ( I am so frickin' weak. ) Hope to check it out this weekend, depending upon what college games are broadcast on Saturday.

- Walter.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Main thing - how does the Blu-ray transfer look? I've read posts that it's too dark, etc. No definitive review yet. I'm curious as to the quality!

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Okay, after viewing this recent BRD in its entirety, I can say it's not the prior director's cut. This version runs exactly 114 minutes and 33 seconds. The original ending appears to be back in place without Chingachgook's speech. Some of the original cuts are back in place too, but it's not the original version of the film.

IMO, some of you might be happy with this version as it might be the closest to the orignal version, you'll see in some time. The video is darker on this BRD, but for the most part, I'm happy with it's presentation.

Crawdaddy

Sorry for the repeat. Can you comment on the quality of the video?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks