What's new

Early Amazon Preorder: Last of the Mohicans (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Click on cover art above to order

We will post a separate press release once the studio officially releases one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll rent it but not buy, unless it has theatrical.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

I'll rent it but not buy, unless it has theatrical.

What's so good about the theatrical version? I prefer the ending of the extended version after viewing the threatrical version on a UK released DVD which really surprised me, but it was many years since I watched the threatrical cut.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The dir cut that has been on dvd didn't do anything for me. I want to see the theatrical cut not another dir cut again.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Here's hoping they include all 3 versions and some bonus material. If memory serves, there was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama that could make for a good retrospective doc!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The dir cut that has been on dvd didn't do anything for me. I want to see the theatrical cut not another dir cut again.

But what makes the theatrical cut so good over the director's cut? I bought that UK dvd to specifically compare the different versions as I initially thought the threatical cut was superior.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Don't know never saw it. If the theatrical isn't on tis blu-ray I may do an import just to see it.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I think the theatrical cut is superior for a couple of reasons:

- it has no painfully on-the-nose monologue over the final scene, which states the subtext that the film has already made totally clear

- it retains the Clannad song over the chase scene, which is replaced with random score where it appears in the film and left silent over the end credits

- many of Mann's edits are visible because they weren't done with great care

- I miss lots of the little one-liners and bits of clever dialogue he hacked out (he was clearly trying to make the film less "Hollywood")

- i don't like all the random bits he reinstated, they add nothing to me

Most of all:

- he didn't just add a few new scenes, he re-edited almost every scene in the whole film. If you've seen the film numerous times in its original incarnation, like I have, it's impossibly jarring to try and watch the recut version.

It's not quite as bad as his unwatchable "director's cut" of Manhunter, where his source for additional material was a fuzzy VHS tape, which he cuts back and forth to for individual shots in a scene, but it comes close.

I'd imagine people who have only seen this altered version of Mohicans don't get what all the fuss is about. I think it's mostly people who grew up on the original version who so desperately want it back. I wrote a really impassioned review about this at Amazon which has had hundreds of positive votes, so I know I'm not alone.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

But what makes the theatrical cut so good over the director's cut? I bought that UK dvd to specifically compare the different versions as I initially thought the threatical cut was superior.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard

Don't know never saw it. If the theatrical isn't on tis blu-ray I may do an import just to see it.

I suspect the eventual Blu-Ray in England, which will also be released by Warner, will be the theatrical cut, like their DVD was.

Only territories where Fox has the film, like America, are stuck with the recut version, which was done in 1999 to tie in to the theatrical release of The Insider.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
James,

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to revisit both versions again to see if my opinion changes in regard to one version versus the other. Right now, I didn't see what the big deal was except for the ending, but I'll pay closer attention to the less obvious changes throughout the playing of both versions. I hope to do this before this release comes out.

Has a BRD release date been set for the UK?

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll refrain from yet another rant regarding the theatrical cut and simply say....

Precisely what James said in post #8. I could not agree more.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

- Walter.

Walter,

Actually, I was hoping you would comment about the differences because I remembered you and Michael R. previously expressed your opinions that the theatrical cut was superior over the Mann version which is why I decided to buy the UK dvd to see for myself.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Hodson

I've long taken the view that less Clannad is more. But it's a purely personal opinion.

Beautiful film.

John,

So you prefer the extended version?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Actually, I was hoping you would comment about the differences because I remembered you and Michael R. previously expressed your opinions that the theatrical cut was superior over the Mann version which is why I decided to buy the UK dvd to see for myself.[/COLOR]

Robert, just trying to avoid beating a dead horse. But since you asked...

The most egregious difference for me is the revised ending that plainly spells out the subtext of the film in (IMHO) such a condescending manner. I love the film, but I detest the revised ending. All of the subtlety and poetry of the original ending is completely destroyed by the revised monologue that takes great care to state the obvious. It just ruins the film.

Last of the Mohicans might be the only film (available on DVD) that I still watch on Laserdisc. (I had imported a DVD from amazon UK with the theatrical cut, but had playback issues and so I'm back to watching the LD.)

Most of the other changes are less objectionable to me on the whole, but as James pointed out, watching the revised cut is jarring due to the nature of the edits which aren't that seamless. There are any number of small changes in dialog and I agree with James that Mann seems to be attempting to make the film less "commercial".

Of course, I saw this theatrically and really grew to admire that version. Years of viewing the Laserdisc reinforced my impressions of the theatrical cut and I was very disappointed by the changes in the Region 1 DVD releases.

As a matter of principal I believe the theatrical cuts of films should always have precedence in home video releases. If the filmmaker(s) wish to present revised or different cuts I have no issue with that as long as the theatrical cut receives the same care; regardless of the film or filmmaker.

- Walter.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

John,

So you prefer the extended version?

Yes, I do. I don't dislike the theatrical cut - loved the film when I first saw it - but the Clannad stuff jars (and IMHO the chase scene in particular benefits from its replacement), always did. Be interesting to see this new incarnation; I largely agree with Mann's altering of the dialogue, a cut here and there, and I don't agree the DC's ending ruins the film, but I actually do prefer the original ending.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Actually, I was hoping you would comment about the differences because I remembered you and Michael R. previously expressed your opinions that the theatrical cut was superior over the Mann version which is why I decided to buy the UK dvd to see for myself.

It's not so much that I found the theatrical cut superior in substance, but that I found the editing on the DVD version sloppy and less effective. There didn't seem to be any good reason for many of the changes, and they weren't smoothly done. By comparison, the edits on the Blu-ray edition of Heat were precision adjustments that many viewers probably didn't notice and that, in each case I could identify, effectively tightened up a scene that benefited from the tightening.

I don't have a quarrel with any specific adjustment Mann made to Mohicans, but I found that their cumulative effect was to make the film less grand and sweeping -- the very qualities that won over many viewers in the first place.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter,

Thanks for your comments. I watched the film in the theater too, but it was years since I've viewed the threatrical cut so except for the ending, I couldn't remember any of the other changes.

I respect those that have major problems with the ending, but like John, I kind of like the extended version's ending which is not to say I don't like the original ending.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

It's not so much that I found the theatrical cut superior in substance, but that I found the editing on the DVD version sloppy and less effective. There didn't seem to be any good reason for many of the changes, and they weren't smoothly done. By comparison, the edits on the Blu-ray edition of Heat were precision adjustments that many viewers probably didn't notice and that, in each case I could identify, effectively tightened up a scene that benefited from the tightening.

I don't have a quarrel with any specific adjustment Mann made to Mohicans, but I found that their cumulative effect was to make the film less grand and sweeping -- the very qualities that won over many viewers in the first place.
Gotcha!

I'm going to have to cue both discs up this weekend because all of your comments have peaked my interest in the two versions.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I would have a difficult time spotting some of the differences in Heat.

Last of the Mohicans - not as difficult.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks