E1 Press Release: THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    STREET DATE CHANGE!

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']
    Due to a slight production delay, THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES - COLLECTOR'S EDITION will now street on April 6, instead of the original date of March 30. We apologize for the inconvenience.

[/FONT]
    [​IMG]

“These are the guys that made me fall in love with the idea
    of being funny.”
    –Jerry Seinfeld

-- Named One of the “100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME”
    by Time Magazine --

-- Named One of the “100 Greatest TV Shows”
    by Entertainment Weekly --

THIS MARCH, E1 ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILS ONE OF
    THE LANDMARK COMEDY SERIES FROM THE
    GOLDEN AGE OF TV
    THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Digitally Restored and Re-mastered, This Exclusive, Fully-Authorized,
    Custom-Packaged Set Features all 52 Episodes on 9 DVDs
    ($59.98 srp), a 44-Page Photo-Filled Book and Over Three Hours
    of Bonus Features Including a TV Retrospective Hosted by
    Milton Berle, a Classic Routines Reel, Lou Costello’s Rare
    Home Movies and Much More!
    IN STORES APRIL 6

PORT WASHINGTON, NY – One of the greatest comedy teams in the history of show business, Abbott and Costello shared a magical chemistry that would take them from the burlesque stage to radio, Broadway, Hollywood and finally… to television. This March, fans of classic comedy and TV on DVD will share laughter and applause as E1 unveils THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION. Digitally restored and re-mastered, this exclusive, fully-authorized 9-DVD collection features all the hilarious skits and ingenious wordplay that made the duo legends, including their trademark “Who’s on First?” routine. In stores on April 6 (original street date: March 30), the custom-packaged set features 22-plus hours of comedy, a 44-page book and over three hours of bonus features – all for the suggested retail price of $59.98.

Beginning in 1952, the filmed half-hour series "The Abbott and Costello Show" appeared in syndication on local stations across the country. Loosely based on Bud and Lou’s popular radio series, the show cast the duo as unemployed actors, perpetually looking for work while struggling to pay back rent to Sidney Fields, their often frustrated landlord. Other fan-favorites/recurring characters included the elegant Hillary Brooke, the belligerent Mike “The Cop” Kelly (Gordon Jones), the malevolent and child-like Oswald “Stinky” Davis (Joe Besser) and the ever-gainfully employed immigrant entrepreneur Mr. Bacciagalupe (Joe Kirk).

From “Who’s on First?” to “Niagara Falls,” from “Mustard” to “The Lemon Bit” – all of Bud and Lou’s classic routines were incorporated into “The Abbott and Costello Show.” The two seasons that were produced from 1951-1953 (52 episodes in all) remain a permanent record of burlesque comedy – preserving some of the most treasured skits of American oral tradition. Frequently cited as an inspiration for Jerry Seinfeld’s own hit series, “The Abbott and Costello Show” was named one of the “100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME” byTime Magazine in 2007 and one of the “100 Greatest TV Shows” by Entertainment Weekly in 1998.

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION features a 44-page commemorative book outlining the history of the series with background essays by Abbott and Costello historian/expert Ron Palumbo, an introduction by Lou Costello’s daughters Chris and Paddy Costello and archival documents and photos – as well as a complete episode guide. Also supplementing the package is a set of four exclusive black & white photo postcards taken from the original publicity photography for the series.

The collection’s over three hours of bonus features include the “Hey Abbott!” 1978 TV retrospective, hosted by Milton Berle and featuring contributions by Steve Allen, Joe Besser and Phil Silvers; an “Abbott and Costello Show” Season One classic routines reel; rare home movies from the Lou Costello family archive (1942-1953); the restored 1948 short film “10,000 Kids and a Cop” (documenting the philanthropic work of the Lou Costello Jr. Youth Foundation); and interviews with Chris and Paddy Costello.

Allowing home audiences to relive the immortal, inimitable comedy of one of the most popular comedy teams of the twentieth century, THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION is sure to be a hit with generations of fans for years to come… but the excitement doesn’t end there! Coinciding with this highly-anticipated DVD release, E1 Entertainment will bring “The Abbott and Costello Show” to digital distribution for the first time ever – presenting all 52 episodes of the series on iTunes, Hulu and other platforms. Additionally, six classic sound bites from the show will be made available as ringtones that each can be individually downloaded to cell phones for one low price.

About E1 Entertainment U.S.
    E1 Entertainment U.S. (formerly KOCH Vision) is the U.S. home video label of E1 Entertainment (AIM: ETO), a leading independent entertainment content owner that acquires film, television and music rights and exploits these rights in all media in more than 190 countries. Boasting a diverse library of feature films, television series, award-winning children’s programs, live music concerts and more, E1 Entertainment U.S. is the home of such notable properties as Sanctuary, McLeod’s Daughters, Wire in the Blood, Faerie Tale Theatre, Omnibus andThe Abbott and Costello Show, along with Ballet Shoes starring Emma Watson, Little Ashes starring Robert Pattinson and the 2009 Academy Award® winner for Best Foreign Language Film,Departures. For more information on these and other releases from E1 Entertainment U.S., please visitwww.e1homevideo.com.

# # #

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES – COLLECTOR’S EDITION
    Street date: April 6, 2010 Genre: TV
    Rating: N/R SRP: $59.98
    Running Time: 22 hrs. + extras Catalog #: E1E-DV-6729
    Format: DVD/9 Discs Screeners: Avail. Upon Request

[​IMG]

2. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I have Season 1 and 2 that Passport released and almost everything in that is on this new release, except the booklet and that TV retrospective. The booklet is not worth the $60 to upgrade unless there's a real difference in restoration from the Passport, which looks great!.

So, whomever is going to do a side by side comparrison...we'll be waiting patiently for your report!!!

3. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris

Same here. There will have to be some major differences for me to double dip.

4. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Me too. Particularly when Passport went out of their way to issue replacement discs when some episodes were found to be time compressed. I've always been happy with those sets.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Wow I found the passport versions barely watchable and couldn't wait to unload them. They were the most washed out black and white I had in my collection. They were especially dissapointing when the previous VHS and DVD releases from Sanoochie (excuse the spelling) were very nice and crisp. So I'm expected and hoping for this to be a big improvement. I think Passport used old prints. I never would haved viewed the passport versions again because of the washed out appearance.

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I already have all the episodes from the Shanachie DVDs, so I never re-bought them when the Passport editions came out. However, if the reports of this new set are positive enough, I may get it and unload the Shanachie's. The time compression reports are what steered me away from the Passport release.

7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Well I'm happy to report that after viewing the 1st two episodes and scanning through many others that this E1 version of the Abbott and Costello show is "the one" to get. Great transfers that are crisp with good contrast. Not faded and washed out like the Passport versions. Complete, un-edited and not time compressed like the Passport versions. To top it off the extras are also better including the full version of "Hey Abbott" hosted by Milton Berle that could have been a release all by itself.
    I'm glad I sold off my Passport versions and I'm very happy with this release and don't see upgrading this series again. It would take a major restoration (not very likely) to give me reason to buy again.

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I'm going by what you say, because I just sold my Passport box sets and have ordered this...thanks!

Edit: It seems that DVDTown.coms review sounds like he's describing the Passport Box sets...interlaced, combing and the first episode is pretty rough. Could this be a repackaging...I'll find out soon enough!

9. shureman

shureman Auditioning

I've compared my Passport set to the E1 version and make the following observations:
    - both Season 1 & 2 have sharper, clearer images, especially the very faded episodes in 2 where you could hardly make out some facial features.
    - " Jail " is still from an inferior print, but it looks a little sharper.
    - lots of publicity photos from the TV series.
    - flimsy DVD array with overlapping disc-slots (and VERY easy to scratch disc surfaces while inserting/removing discs..the disk-nubs don't allow for the overlapping; consequently I'm keeping my E1 disks in the Passport cases for now); this is the only negative comment I've got to make thus far.
    - Wal-Mart in Canada were selling this as of March 30 for $34.99....I think the pricing was incorrect as it scanned @ $39.99. So for this price I'm glad I double-dipped !

10. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Abbott-Costello-The-Ultimate_Collection/21024
    I just saw this. Apparently the Abbott & Costello TV Show is being released to DVD for yet a fourth (at least) time with a list price of $79.98 -- it says 3 hours of extras -- any idea what, if any, justification there would be for an upgrade from the 2010 set? I have that and it's very nice, by the way.

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Its appears to be just a repackage like everyone is doing these days. The 2010 release had that many extras too. The Hey Abbott special on Abbott and Costello is about 90 minutes that was included. The 2010 set was also restored and re-mastered and superior to the earlier sets by Passport.