What's new

E.T. 25th Anniversary edition? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if there will be a re-release of this beloved film this year? I wish they would go back to the original soundtrack. Some of the sound effects (such as the ship taking off, and E.T.'s moan when he .....) were changed or eliminated for the last release. I want them to offer the original 1982 sound.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Didn't the two-disc edition have both 1982 and 2002 releases?

The 1982 edition included had changes to the soundtrack?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The 1982 edition had some changes. The only thing is, I don't know what the source for the sound was for the 2002 release, and if the sound I am referring to was maybe some changes for the 1985 release, and that the 1982 version on the dvd is faithful to that track. Confusing.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If anyone knows about the different sound mixes for this film, in particular the 1985 track, please share it with us.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only thing that could be added to the gift set (aside from being taken off moratorium) is the old 2-hour documentary from the laserdisc.

And if there was a modified soundtrack made in 1985 it would have been the only one released on video in the first place since the original VHS came out in '89. So your memory is either extremely good or... I don't know.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if the soundtrack was modified in 1985. The only thing I am going on is that the "terrorist" line was cut in that version. It could be possible that E.T.'s groan and sound effects of the ship taking off could have been added then, and then replaced with the original. Or the 1982 70mm mix could have been used for the 2002 release, and that version may have included changes.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:confused: The "terrorist" line was edited from the 2002 version but as far as I can recall it is still in the 1982 version on the DVD set.

I'll have to check on that, BRB.

.....ok, I may be totally misunderstanding what you are saying (and if I am then I apologize) but the 82 version on the DVD has the Terrorist line intact so I have no idea what 1985 version you are referring to that edited this line out before the 2002 SE version.

Ok, let's clarify for my own confused brain:
...ok, what version is "THAT" version you are referring to...1985 or 2002?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Ok, let me clarify....E.T. was released in 35mm and 70mm in 1982. I don't know if there were variations in those two tracks. The terrorist line was present. When the film was re-released to theatres in 1985, the terrorist line was cut. It was restored for the 1982 version on dvd. However, the 1982 version on dvd is missing E.T.'s moan as he is..... Also, some sound effects are different in this track than the vhs version from the 1985 release (all home video releases before dvd have this track). I was just wondering if the missing groan and different music were indeed that way on the '82 tracks, and not something altered for the '85 release (while they were cutting the terrorist line.), or if it was just left off of the dvd release by mistake (or intentionally.)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, I did in fact understand you then but the thing that I don't understand is the terrorist line being omitted from any 1985 release, Spielberg's omitting of the line from the 2002 version was in direct connection to 911....why would they cut it in 1985?

May I ask where come by the info that the 1985 release was edited in this way?

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to admit that, off-hand, the only source I found was the IMDb, but I remember reading that several more reputable places when the re-release came out. It just got overshadowed by people criticizing Spielberg for being PC for removing the word "terrorists". I imagine, off-hand, the easiest way to solve this would be for somebody to bust out their old E.T. VHS ... but, alas, I never had one.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have the 1988 vhs and the terrorist line is not on there. The missing groan is, though. That's why I didn't know if that was added when the terrorist line was deleted, or if it was mistakenly left off of the 1982 version on dvd.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe the reason for the missing groan has ever been determined. One line of thought is that it was just a mistake as you can hear it on the French (?) track.

Different ship sounds... beginning of film, end or both?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If they do redo this, I just hope that they maintain the live orchestra track on the 2002 release. It's my favourite special feature on the current set.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
You can't hear it on the English, Spanish, or French tracks, but there is a subtitle for it. Actually, the ship sounds was something I read on the Spielberg E.T. forum...it is supposedly at the beginning and end (I think.) There is a listing in the E.T. screenplay that was included with the Special Edition DVD of all of the sounds E.T. makes throughout the film...the groan isnt' listed, nor is it in the script...which makes me think it was added when the terrorist line was cut and the film was being readied for the 1985 re-release.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

:confused: I was wrong about which track but the moan is there on the Spanish track of the *real* E.T. (82).

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
A lot of points are getting confused here. The following is an accurate summary:

1982: The six-track mix for the 70 mm prints was no different in content than the 35 mm Dolby prints.

1985: The theatrical reissue contained NO changes to either picture or sound.

1988: The initial video release deleted the "terrorist" line but otherwise the sound was the same as the original. This track was carried over to the 1996 LD release.

2002: 20th anniversary edition was completely remixed and Dee Wallace recorded the "hippie" line to replace the "terrorist" line. The DVD of the 1982 version restores the original soundtrack, but a few sonic "enhancements" from the 20th anniversary mix seem to have been carried over. However the "terrorist" line is intact.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, the moan was accidentally left off? I am asking this honestly...how does something like this happen when all of the other effects are present. Wouldn't they have been on the same track?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Only thing that I can think of offhand that would improve over the old release would be a better case. What were they thinking? No text on the spine :)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks