What's new

Dynasty (1 Viewer)

andyEckles

Agent
Anyone hear any word on Dynasty Season 2? I'm anxiously awaiting this after the release of season 1. The set was beautifully produced. The packaging, design, etc was A++ The picture and sound quality were outstanding - the best of any older show I've seen. They really did a great job on this set and I can't wait for the next release.

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Any more news on Dynasty?

The last I heard that they were negotiating with former cast members to do commentaries??

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Sounds fine to me. I'd love more audio commentaries next time. The first season the only cast member was Al Corley. Pretty much the whole cast is still alive, (although Lloyd Bochner died very recently), so Paramount needs to track down the rest of the cast and put them to work. I am 100% sure we will see at least season two of Dynasty, and that an announcement will be made soon.

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator

It's just that Fox seem to be announcing a lot of new titles (e.g. Hill Street Blues , more NYPD Blue) with no mention of Dynasty.

I had heard that Fox did intend to release the complete series, and possibly The Colbys as well, but everything's gone very quiet as far as the show is concerned.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Why do I have the feeling that Fox will pull a "Night Court" on us?

When I say that, I mean that everybody who remembers "Dynasty" is most familiar with Joan Collins, who didn't appear until Season 2. Could the sales of the first season have been weak because none of her episodes were on there?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Just a theory.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Dynasty, like several other series, has the problem of having "first season woes". Meaning they have first seasons that are often not as well-liked or not as familiar as later seasons. Besides Dynasty this is also true of Facts Of Life, Night Court, Cagney & Lacy, Different World, etc.

I was quite worried that true fans of Dynasty (like myself) would avoid season one as it's not that good, in my opinion. For me the only person who comes close to being watchable is Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon. It is the start of season two when Dynasty truly starts to become itself with the mysterious arrival of Alexis Morrell Carrington. A role, by the way, that Joan Collins took mainly for the money. Her daughter was in the hospital and Joan needed the money. She was told the role would likely be short-term and she would not have to commit for very long.

My, how things change. I hope to see season two released so we can officially get our Dynasty groove on.

Alexis (to a sullen Fallon): "I'm glad to see your father had your teeth fixed. If not your mouth."

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Based on David Rain's comments above, it would have made more sense (as mentioned before) to have released seasons 1 and 2 together.
I think season 1 came out in April 2005, so with annoucements now being made for January 2006, it would be at least a year in between.
I too am beginning to be concerned we won't see any more of Dynasty on DVD.
Anyone in the know at Fox reading this who can put our minds at rest?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I thought I heard Dynasty 1 sold okay. I was convinced at the time that Season 2 would sell probably twice as many copies. Oh god, yes. And I also would have loved to see seasons one and two in a single package, although that would have been about 35-40 episodes and a hell of a thing.

But I can reassure Fox that fans really start loving Dynasty the second Joan Collins walks into that courtroom...

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I have another reason to want Season Two released. Yes, I think Season Two was possibly the best of the nine years, but I'm hoping that future Dynasty releases will lead to the release of another Fox show that I really want out ASAP: Peyton Place!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Peyton would be one big release...isn't there about 500 eps or something like that? And yes, I'd like to see it too. Maybe in the next format.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I WANT DYNASTY NOW. Where the heck is season 2? I've plowed through the first season as a blind, and am axiously awaiting to see where else the story goes. :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh, there are people who still haven't seen Dynasty ? Well, let me assure you that once Joan settles into Alexis' pumps she becomes this show and makes most of the other characters nearly irrelevant. My only real need for the character of Krystle are her arguments and infamous fights with La Alexis. Those are the stuff of camp legend. Other than that I believe Dex & Dominique are just about the only characters who could stay in a scene with her without being blown out of Denver - and off the screen.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Nonsense, Ethan- it can be done now. Look at Dark Shadows: 1225 episodes, and they're been released every other month by MPI since 2002. Three out of five years' worth of episodes are already out on DVD with more to follow. So Fox can easily put out up to 40 episodes per box set as MPI does with DS!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah but Dark Shadows has a gigantic cult following, compared to Peyton Place. All PP has going for it is Mia Farrow lol

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
I came across this message on a Dynasty forum. No idea how true it is, but it's not good news.

"Hi everyone!

I recently corresponded -- via e-mail -- with a senior executive at Fox Home Entertainment. This person (we'll keep it gender neutral here!) agreed to answer my questions about Season 2 on DVD if I agreed not to mention his/her name on this board. I thought it was pretty nice of this executive to correspond with a complete stranger, so of course, I wanted the scoop and I will abide by this individual's wishes.

The news is bad. The executive told me there are problems regarding the release of Season Two, and that there are simply NO PLANS AT THIS TIME TO RELEASE ANYTHING. I told this person that there are tons of Dynasty fans who are just dying for Season Two, and the exec said s/he totally understands, but that the situation is a little sticky right now.

I specifically asked if the problem has to do with objections or demands by the Shapiros or by Aaron Spelling, and the exec said that none of them have anything to do with the situation.

That's all I got out of this person. I am SO SAD ABOUT THIS!! We are the most devoted fans of any television series of the world, and we deserve better than this!!"

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Further proof that the TV division of Fox Home Video is run by incompetent boobs! First the unending question regarding Batman, followed by the ridiculous delay between seasons one and two of Mary Tyler Moore, and on top of that, no sign whatsoever regarding seasons two and following of Malcolm In The Middle!! And let's not forget the recent debacle over that new Simpsons packaging.

The Fox TV library is rich in classic shows from Dobie Gillis to NYPD Blue, but you hardly see anything coming out on the vaults! Compare that to Warners and Universal, which have tons of titles either already released or about to come out. If Fox can lease out Doogie Howser to Anchor Bay, why can't it do the same for some early FOX classics like Dobie Gillis, Room 222, Land of the Giants, Peyton Place, The Green Hornet, and the Four-Star catalog ( with shows like The Big Valley, Burke's Law, and Honey West)?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well then again it could be just a bunch of rubbish invented by bored internet a-wholes. I tend to believe only official announcements. What problems does it cite? None. What problems could it possibly have? None. We can argue that:

*The first season set sold decently enough to warrant a second season.

*In season two, there are basically NO "music rights" issues; the entire series had its own original score by Bill Conti, which is already paid for; they only rarely dipped into pop songs for the soundtrack.

*As far as I understand, "stars" cannot object to dvd releases; the monies generated by dvds are placed in a pool and divided among the union actors appearing in each set. Therefore, if anyone is thinking, perchance, that Joan Collins is demanding a ton of money from this dvd, it's highly unlikely. First of all, contrary to public opinion she loved being on Dynasty. And second, she would not hold up a release of anything she's been in; it's all cash to her. And keep in mind that she is English, and therefore, a trouper.

The only "problems" I can accept is that there are problems in transferring the dvd; maybe they can't find some of the original film elements or something, but even that too is rubbish because the series is on SoapNet everyday, and there are no missing episodes...whatever their little problems are, they must be minor. I urge everyone to ignore the stupid paranoid post above, investigate into this dvd release by contacting FOX home video yourselves, and to not give up hope.

Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks