What's new

dying or dead TV? (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I have a 6 y/o 27 inch Sony and yesterday, the picture just shrank and all together disappeared. I turn it on and sometimes it would come back full picture but go to it dead mode again. Sound is OK though. I was wondering if its feasible to have it repaired. I know for a fact that those techs just looking at it would cost maybe $50-100, but u guys think its something I should look into? Or do I just go out and get a new set for the bedroom?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
That the picture collapses and then totally dissappears seems to indicate that it's losing power to the yoke, and also the HV to the tube, which sounds like something more involved than a loose connection to just one thing.

It might be worth $50 to see if it's a simple/cheap fix, though, it might be an easy fix, who knows.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If it's pulling in from the left and right sides or all 4 directions then it could be intermittent horizontal drive . If you catch it now it's a resoldering job , if you wait then you'll lose about $60 worth of parts in a few microseconds -- eventually.

If it's losing vertical height (from top and bottom) or collapsing to the top , bottom , or accross the center of the screen from the top and bottom then the vertical output chip is probably coming unsoldered.

These are both common problems and not too serious if you get it fixed before components start failing from the stress. The fact that it's intermittent (still works occasionally) indicates that components have not failed yet (the exceptions to that statement usually apply only to much older sets)

Powe W

Auditioning
I too have a 27" sony about 5 years old. The screen collapes and shuts down when I have the contrast and/or Brightness up. Is this the same problem? I get it to a level where the TV stays doesn't shut off, But It's just to dark for my liking.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I have something similar happening with a sanyo bedroom tv... The picture "flutters" and then "shrinks" into a horizontal line about a few milimeters thick in the middle of the screen. Doesn't do it all the time... I had already started budgeting for a new TV... Can it be fixed easy and is it worth it in a 10 year old set?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Powe W , a brightness related shutdown is probably not the same type of problem. Those can be caused by a lot of things , mostly bad. It could be a simple adjustment (called G2) or bad high voltage transformer , picture tube , ABL circuits , etc. It's either real simple --- or catastrophic . (try to find a shop with a low estimate charge if you decide to have it looked at)

Erik.Ha , Yours does sound like the same type of problem as Eric Samonte's , probably soldering but costs tend to be geographic and you probably don't live in a cheap neighborhood so you might want to get an idea of what local minor rate service runs before taking it in. Or find someone taking a Junior College class in electronics that needs a project set.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
wow, what a great thread as my 5 year old panasonic has been doing this for about a month. I can usually give it a samck and the picture comes back full screen, but slowly goes back to a thin band in the middle.

Guess i'll call around and ask about prices of posible vertical putput chip coming unsoldered.

I can take a quick movie of what it is doing if anyone wants to see what were (at least mine) talking about.

just pm me

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

Ive been doing the "Fonze" smack for about 6 months now... I feel so "COOOOOOOOL" when it works...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks