What's new

DVR Skipped Part of Program (1 Viewer)

Kaos

Auditioning
I have a Motorola 6412 DVR (COX Cable) and had it set to record an hour long program. During playback it skips over from 2:35 all the way up to 25:07. The playback bar is green showing that it recorded the show but I can't see those 20+ minutes. Has anyone had this issue?
Thanks.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
To be honest, I would demand that Cox replace the unit since that really sounds like a flaky hard drive to me. DVRs are like any other system with a hard drive; yes hard drives have gotten better and better, but they are still very fragile machines with the read/write head hovering just microns above the spinning platter. Any harsh bump can cause it to misalign or even crash the head into the platter causing damage to the media itself. I wouldn't doubt that the cause of your problem is that the sectors/allocation units of the hard drive that those missing minutes were written to have been flagged as bad by the CPU/OS and are getting skipped over. DVRs and DVDR machines with hard drives will always have an Achilles heel, the HDD itself. That is also the main reason I bought a Nintendo Gamecube and not an Xbox. As an IT professional, I NEVER trust a hard drive implicitly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks