What's new

DVR Box Output Setting at 720 or 1080? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a Samsung PN51F4500 plasma which offers 720 HD output (actually, it scales to 768).Question: should I put my DVR Dish Network box to the 720 output setting, or since the TV converts to 1080 very well, should I put the setting on the box to 1080?
Of course, it's an eyeball decision of what looks best to me, but just curious if the answer is this obvious or not.Thanks and happy 2014 to all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I prefer my channels "native". But, my plasma are capable of actually displaying 480i/P, 720P and 1080i/P. (not all TV are capable of that)

You don't get to pick, on a channel by channel basis, between 720P and 1080i. You get what the channel/network chose.

If your plasma is capable of 720P and 1080i....if you can...set your DVR native.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
My DVR 722k only gives me these options for TV Output type: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are correct.

But, that isn't the setting(if offered) to choose to have your stations native.

Directv DVR allows you to choose what resolutions you want...and whether you want everything 1 resolution or them all native.

Saying you have a DVR tells nobody anything. What DVR do you have?

Dish has at least 25(going back 7 years) different DVR.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Dalel.
Put the Dish Receiver on 1080i output.
I have not seen any of the 720p ish displays that do a good job with 720 and they do a much better job with 1080i convertion.

Interesting note, much the same for many of the 720 p ish PJs.

Enjoy!

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Gregg. "Native" isn't an option on my DVR. If it was, I would have listed it in my OP.You understood and btw, you will be hired again by me in the future when my home theater (this TV is for the living room) gets updated with a newer system. I'm guessing you still travel to do calibrations.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Dale.
You are quite welcome.
I do still travel, though not as much, due to teaching and other consulting.
If you are in need of a calibration please send me an email, if I can not personally assist you I can definitely refer you to a properly qualified person.

Happy New Year!

Gregg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not everybody knows you can set their TV shows native, when their STB allows for it.It is a shame that "everybody else's" STB doesn't like Directv.If they did, setting up STB would be so much simpler.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
There have been NO Dish receivers made with a native option.

I usually recommend that most viewers select the convert to 1080i option on directv boxes as this will bypass a HDMI hand shake and the user can do faster channel surfing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks