DVI?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Huber, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

[​IMG]

Anyone tell me what kind of VGA adapter I need for this? I need to know what version of DVI this is...

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

4. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

How does the standard on hook into that? Its totally different...

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Chris, the connectors that Glenn and I posted, are the same connector.

Basically you plug one end into the DVI port and the other end allows you to connect a VGA montior cable.

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Thats a PC so you most likely need DVI-D

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Yes, It's a dual-link DVI-D connector which is a digital-only connection. DVI-I and DVI-A sockets are similar, but have four small additional pins: two above and two below the horizontal pin at the right side of the socket in your photo. The plug you would use for your socket is the following:

DVI-D (Digital):
    [​IMG]

To use a simple DVI-to-VGA adaptor you would need to have a socket that supported one of the following plugs, which both support analogue outputs, but neither will fit in the socket on your PC:

DVI-I (Integrated, meaning digital and analogue):
    [​IMG]

DVI-A (analogue):
    [​IMG]

Because DVI-D is digital only it doesn't output a signal that can be easily converted to another analogue socket, such as VGA D-SUB 15. A DVI-to-VGA adaptor plug simply won't work. Sorry.

Adam

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That looks most like DVI-D -- digital only. (Dunno about those two extra vertical slots.) Simple connectors won't work; those use the analog signal in a DVI-A or DVI-I. You need a monitor that displays DVI-D -- any decent LCD should do it nowadays. You can also buy digital-to-VGA converters, but they're a couple hundred bucks.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok Ken, I lost you. The ATI card I had included that connector. I just connected the connector to the card, and the VGA connector to the other end. Easy!

Glenn

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you look at the image I linked, or at the ones in Adam's post above, you'll note that DVI-I has four pins around the wider bar on the left. These carry the analog RGB signals. So the connector will work. That's what you have.

But in the image Chris posted, those four pins are missing. It looks more like a DVI-D.

11. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Is that a PC? If that's an A/V unit then it could be a proprietary connector intended to interface a specific flat panel display. Hitachi uses something like that for some of it's Plasma panels that will not connect to anything but the intended panel.