DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael Harris, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I have a 55" Sony Grand WEGA with an HDMI input. I also am using a computer as a PVR (would really call it an HTPC, yet) with an ATI 8500 DV All In Wonder card with a DVI output. Right now, I have an analogue monitor attached to the DVI connection via a DVI VGA adaptor while my TV is connected to the PC via an S-Video cable. I recently bought a DVI to HDMI adaptor and an HDMI cable. I wanted to connect the TV to the PC via the DVI adaptor and HDMI cable but I see nothing. Is there a setting I'm missing? Also, does this card support a 16:9 display? If I can get this to work, I see this as a stop-gap measure until I build my "real" HTPC with an HDMI out video card. Any suggestions, comment, tips, etc., as always appreciated.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    You should be able to just go from a DVI to HDMI cable (no adaptor needed). I would also check to see if your Sony allows you to select the input as HDMI as opposed to component, etc.

I don't know about that particular card but most of them allow you to change the display output to say 1240 x 720, etc. and then allow you to adjust for over or underscan.

I have seen a couple video cards with HDMI outs but the majority of the new cards I have seen have dual DVI outs that you again would go from DVI to HDMI.

A great place to get the DVI to HDMI cable is Blue Jeans Cable.

Parker

3. Michael Harris

Thanks for the input Parker but I had already bought a DVI to HDMI adaptor to go with the HDMI cable. As I stated above, this was to be a temporary solution until I build a dedicated HTPC, which will have a video card with an HDMI output. I did not want to be stuck with an expensive DVI to HDMI cable that would only get a few months use. Anyway, I tried your suggestion and no joy. I initially get a picture on TV when I enable the HDMI input but then it goes away. Not sure why. Could be the TV. Not going to worry too much about it since I get a nice picture from the S-video output of the computer. I just wanted to see if I could get a full 16:9 display on the TV since my PVR software has a 16:9 mode.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Try enabling 1080i and 720p in the "monitor properties" box of the ATi control panel. You may want to connect a small TV or something to the composite-video output so that you can pull the DVI connexion from your VGA monitor, connect it to your TV, and still be able to see something (which would mean moving the ATi control panel onto the TV part of the desktop).

5. Michael Harris

Alas there is no such thing that I can see. I tried the technique above and the card recognized my TV as a "flat panel display" (FDP) but when I tried to kick up the resolution, the slider was locked to one resolution. No matter, it is time to upgrade anyway. I've started researching its replacement. Thanks for the input.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Wait! Try this out. With everything connected, put the TV on the right input and THEN turn your PC on. It's an ATI 'thing' where the screen has to be on first.

Glenn

7. Michael Harris

Did that too. It was when I rebooted that it saw my TV as an FDP but no ability to change to 780p or 1080i was offered.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Michael:

For some reason the card is not seeing your Sony as being able to accept a higher resolution. I am not sure but it almost sounds like the adaptor to go from DVI to HDMI is limiting your settings. A DVI to HDMI cable as I suggested above isn't that expensive and you would be able to continue to use it even when you build your dedicated HTPC. Most of the video cards I have been looking at that do 1080p use DVI instead of HDMI anyway. I have only found a couple cards that even have HDMI outputs. All of the pre-built HTPC or Media Centers that I have looked at that have HD DVD ROMS in them use DVI outputs.

I use an Nvidia card over DVI to my 1080i RPTV and it works great with Hi Def TV stations at 1080i no problem.

I would try the DVI to HTMI cable and see if that helps to resolve your problem.

9. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

In my Catalyst Control Panel it is under "Monitor Properties 0 > HDTV Support". There are checkboxes there to add 720p60 and 1080i30 to the choices you can "force" in the Display Manager.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Aren't there several versions of DVI->HDMI converters for computers?? Maybe you have an incorrect converter?

11. Michael Harris

I still cant' seem top find this setting. After going to ATI's site, it would appear from the specs of the card I have that it does not support 720 or 1080. Considering that the card is over 5 years old, that wouldn't surprise me. Again, all of this was meant to be a stopgap until I upgrade to a more modern card. And the cable I bought won't go to waste. I need a new DVD player with HDMI out anyway. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

UPDATE!!!!!!

One thing I did not realize! I did not have the Catalyst Control Panel. I was not aware it was something I had to download. Sooooooooo, all is well. I now have a properly working DVI to HDMI connection using a DVI to HDMI adaptor and a standard HDMI cable. Looks nice. Thanks everyone!