What's new

DVI-D vs. Component Video (1 Viewer)

Paul Fernandez

Auditioning
Many home theater components are coming with DVI and Component Video connections. Instruction manuals say to hook up either DVI or component cables to receive and view HDTV. My question is which one is superior or even if there is a difference?

I ask this because I either read or heard that DVI transfers a digital signal from the source (Digital Cable or Satellite, DVD) to the receiver (HDTV), thus not having any interruption with conversions from digital to analog and back to digital. Component video cable is, I think, actually an analog signal and the signal is converted from digital to analog and back to digital. My Wal-Mart RCA analog TV has component hook up. Though component video may be able to send a quality signal to the HDTV monitor, is it still just an analog signal? Is there a significant difference between the two connections? I know that DVI will allow updates to other technologies and copyright protection. But, is there a quality difference? Thanks

Paul

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
In theory, the DVI (digital) connection is superior because of the reduction in digital->analog->digital conversions.

However, people who have connected both from a DVD source have not said there is noticible difference. (Check the Display Devices fourm for details)

My guess is that the software that processes the DVI signal has not had a lot of attention paid to it like the analog processing has. Or, there is not a lot of true 720/1080 sources that offer both to do a higher-resolution comparison.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
This has a lot to do with hardware also. The Samsungs are horrible at component and great with DVI. The Bravo's are good with both. I just got the samsung so I can't give you any input but best suggestion would be go with what looks best. Who cares what connection it uses as long as it looks good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks