What's new

DVDs you regret purchasing (1 Viewer)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
The Last Waltz - I liked it, but it wasn't the "must buy" I was expecting. I really could've picked a better DVD to get that day.

All About Eve - Great movie, but if I had known about the Costco Fox Studio Classics box set, I wouldn't have bought it on its own. Now I have to go through a lot of hassle to get Sunrise...

That's about it. I don't regret any other purchase.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
2) 'Enter the Dragon' - which I mistakenly ordered thinking it was the Bruce Lee story...
That's a bonus. Enter the Dragon is sooo much better than the Bruce Lee story.

I've only bought two I regretted, both blind:

Y Tu Mama Tambien: Great movie, I just didn't care much for it
Episode 2: Nuff said.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
National Geographic documentary-"Egypt: Quest For Eternity" because what I didn't know is that 15 minutes have been hacked out of the VHS release for the DVD release.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
So there's someone who's interested in a Bruce Lee biopic, but not his greatest movie?

I was disappointed in Novocaine. I love Steve Martin, but I thought this sucked. One of those plots that wouldn't work if every person involved weren't an idiot. I got in a 2-pack with L.A. Story (possibly the funniest movie of all time) for only about $6 more than L.A. Story cost alone, so not a huge loss.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
The Sound Of Music - The screen was just HORRIBLE watching the colors fade in and out. It is like watching a pulsating disco ball. Fox had (and continues to have) excellent output, even around the time when this was released, so I hated to "congratulate" them by my purchase for this wretched screen presentation.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Any titles I have regretted buying end up on eBay six months later.

Mark

Bob-ATL

Stunt Coordinator
Godzilla (remake w/Matthew Broderick)
Lethal Weapon-Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 2-Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 3-Director's Cut
The Matrix-Reloaded

Eric Eash

Second Unit
-I am Sam (actually my wife bought it, but i still regret it.)
-all my fullscreen movies (before i saw the light!)
-Bulletproof Monk (one of the only impulse dvd buys i've made, what a POS movie. i really want them to discontinue the current cover, so other people don't think it's got lots of action and buy it.)

like joe sorta said, everybody's different.

eric

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Mariah Carey #1s

WTF? ;) In my defense, this came out back when there wasn't a whole lot worth buying and DVD aficionados were desperate for content.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Moulin Rouge - liked it in the theater, hated it after seeing it on DVD

Then three Blind Buys:

National Lampoon's Van Wilder - the only movie where I counted how many times I laughed. 4. And none out loud.

Saturday The 14th

and

Saturday The 14th Strikes Back. Simply terrible.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
My list would be huge. During my first year and a half of owning a DVD player, I would buy almost anything that struck my fancy, as long as the price was right. I've sold off at least 500 DVDs.

Now I'm very very careful about what I buy. I only buy movies I know I will want to watch over and over. Although I do still occasionally make a blind purchase, it's usually only from a director who I already like.

There are also a few I regretting buying, sold them, and then later regretted selling them.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I love The Limey! One of Soderbergh's best, IMHO.

The DVD has one of the best commentaires ever recorded (between Soderbergh and writer Lem Dobbs).

As for regrets, I'd have to go with Front Row's crapola version of Zulu.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have bought many DVDs as "blind buys" and have been disappointed, which is why I try to borrow movies from my film friends first. I already knew how poor JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER was as a movie, yet I took the plunge and bought the Elite disc. Not only was the film more dull than I ever remembered, but the transfer was poor.
I was surprisingly entertained by the Joe Bob Briggs commentary, though.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I buy DVDs with the greatest of care, so I regret nothing.

Well, maybe I could regret the fact that I bought Criterion's Mon Oncle and Playtime at "market price" a while ago - before it was known that these titles are to be rereleased in 2004...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought blindly and then quickly sold Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. I was planning to rent it first since I had never seen it but it sounded like the kind of thing I'd like. But then I saw that Walmart had it in their $5.88 bin so I took a chance on it and when I watched it the movie simply didn't work for me at all (well, okay, I thought Caroline Munro was really hot. But that was it).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I have had about 50-50 luck buying movies sight unseen.

The good ones have been Donnie Darko and Wonder Boys.

The bad: Candy, Free Enterprise, and About Schmidt (I loved Election but I thought About Schmidt was just OK and I probably won't ever watch it again).

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Scarface, but only because I discovered two nights ago as I sat down to watch that I had accidentally picked up the P&S version when it first came out a few weeks ago. And I took it out of its wrapping before I put on the shelf, so no return. Damn you, tiny aspect ratio text!!

There are a number of films I have never actually watched on DVD since buying them, but most of these are of the "good film I've already seen and am sure will feel like watching sometime in the future" variety. So, I don't feel bad about those.

Surprisingly, the Simpsons season sets have gotten very little use (I've only watched the first season all the way through). I think it's due to the fact that you can watch Simpsons on TV pretty much any time of the day now. I guess I'm never really in a Simpsons-specific mood :)

Shaun

Second Unit
The General's Daughter
Hollywood Homicide
Driven
Mortal Kombat Annhilation
Making Contact
The Tuxedo
K-19 The Widowmaker
Vanilla Sky
Entrapment
Street Fighter
EdTV
The Jackal
Kull The Conquerer
Practical Magic
Soldier
US Marshals

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks