What's new

DVDs with overtures, intermissions, entractes and exit music - help me out (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Giant had a intermission and Entracte music (at a three and a half hour running time, how could it not?) but they have never been on any of the vids.

The 1962 State Fair had exit music that was on some VHS versions (its the Fox chorus singing It
s a Grand Night for Singing.)
In only very early special engagements, The Robe had Overture and Intermission music. I have seen one of the prints that has it. It is music pulled from music tracks in the film. the Overture is Caligulas march (Actor Jay Robinson who played Caligula mentions this in his book) and the Intermmision is the fight part of rEscue of Demetrius.

The Song of Bernadette had Overture and exit Music (they are both on the CD from the film) but the Fox dvd only has teh Exit Music.
BTW = How to Marry a millionaire does have Alfred Newman conducting at the end, but it is not a reprise of the Street scene theme, but its the How to marry a Millionaire credits theme.

Richard M S

Screenwriter

I own just about all of the Rhino/Turner CD soundtracks except this one because I (wrongly) assumed it was mostly a compilation of tracks appearing on their other CDs. After I read the above post I went to J & R, a music store near my office and purchased the only "Gershwin in Hollywood" copy that remained. I played the first disc, especially the amazing overture all night.

Thanks John for the heads-up!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not certain if it has been noted that Mary Poppins was released with Intermission.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Is the intermission card on the most recent remastered Mary Poppins DVD? I have the original DVD release and there's no intermission card.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Mary Poppins at its opening in Radio City it had Overture and INtermission music, neither of which they could find in the Disney vaults.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
A few months ago I transferred the audio from a 4-track mag Technicolor print of the intermission reel. When the Intermission title came up there was no audio. Also there was no music leading into part two.
I am not denying the music doesn't exist, just reporting what I found.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The original overture and exit music of Irving Berlin's This Is The Army is included on the "Warner Brothers and the Homefront Collection" DVD set.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It hasn't been listed yet but the Intermission title card for The Godfather Part II has been reinstated for the restoration dvd.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Paramount's DARLING LILI DVD includes Overture and Exit Music, no intermission/entr'acte.

The Overture on the DVD, however, is the Overture as rerecorded for Mancini's LP, which is probably not the version that was heard in theaters. Everything else on the LP is a rerecording, not soundtrack, which is the way Mancini liked to do his albums. Maybe Paramount didn't have the original any more?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
"Soup To Nuts" (1930 film debut of The Three Stooges) has exit music (which was not included when the film aired on AMC).

Greg_M

Screenwriter

I don't believe "Darling Lili" ever had an overture in the theater. When Blake Edwards recut the film (shortening it) Paramount tacked on the LP overture to pad the timing

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
HONDO (1953), like all of the '50s 3-D movies, had an intermission that I think is on the DVD. THE STRANGER WORE A GUN should, as well, but I don't have that DVD, so I don't know if it's there or not. MONEY FROM HOME, GORILLA AT LARGE, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and REVENGE OF THE CREATURE should, but they do not have their intermission titles.

There is an overture on the KING KONG DVD, but it's a newly-created overture. The original release never had one.

FRANKENSTEIN (1931) has walk-out music.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Not yet mentioned (I believe) but the DVD of Mary , Queen Of Scots (1971) has an overture, intermission and entr'acte.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Greg-m is correct about Darling Lili. I saw it many times in its roadshow 70mm engagement and later 35mm. It never had an Overture but it did have intermission and entracte music.

The dvd of Lili is weird because it starts with Julie Andrews singing Whistling Away the dark. For the first time, it has album reverb, The film had none on julies voice at this point - it was right in front of you. I wonder if Paramount lost the stereo track for reel one - this is definitely the record version looped onto the vid.

Jo_C

Second Unit

I did do a personal DVD+R recording of the original uncut version of "DL" that ran a couple of years back on TCM, and it also has the overture and exit music. There was no intermission, and I do not recall the film ever having that intermission. I also do not know whether or not it was part of the original film soundtrack as I never bought the soundtrack LP.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
The "Heaven's Gate" DVD does include the intermission.

I saw "Schindler's List" in a theater in Rome, Italy and it had an intermission. It had a customized title card saying "Intervallo", coming right after the purge of the Warsaw Ghetto sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks