What's new

DVDs with alternate versions on them? (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
THE BIG SLEEP from Warners has two different versions (1945 pre-release version, 1946 release version) of the film, along with explanations of differences by UCLA's Robert Gitt.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I wish MGM would release a new edition of LIFEFORCE to include both the 100 minute original US theater cut and the 116 minute international cut (which is the only version available on DVD).

Also under wishful thinking, I wish Paramount would do a new edition of Jade to include both the theater cut and the unrated director's cut (11 minutes longer) becasue only a full frame version of the theater version was released (while the director's cut is only vailable on VHS).

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Kino's DVD of "The Blue Angel" has both the English and German versions of the film.

I think a R2 DVD of Blackmail has the silent and talkie versions.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Really. Must try and find a copy of that. The first time I saw Blackmail was a film festival screening of the silent version. While the sound version has some interesting uses of the sound techniology (obviously the breakfast scene), it is the silent version that I would prefer.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Kalifornia- first DVD to use seamless branching feature- includes R-rated theatrical version and "Unrated" which is about 1 minute longer, and after seeing both several times I still can't spot most of the differences.

American Wedding- includes theatrical and "Unrated Extended Party Edition" (seamless branching) One of the best uses of seamless branching I've seen, even the end credits are different (no MPAA logo in unrated version)

Poison Ivy- theatrical and "Unrated" versions, though there's lots of annoying pauses in the theatrical version

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III- seamless branching of theatrical and unrated versions

Rocky Horror Picture Show- US and UK versions- only difference is inclusion of short "Superheroes" song in UK version

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
The General's Daughter.

John Travolta and Madeleine Stowe end up in two completely different ways in these endings. We really liked the alternate ending better.

Interesting use of color and has a cool soundtract.

[later edit - sorry, I misread the question and thought it was for alternate endings]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
was the intention of this thread to list dvd's that include more then one version of a movie on it
or just a list of dvd's that were released seperately as several different versions?

i thought it was a asking for a list of dvd's that have alternate versions on one dvd like all the moviess in the new alien set.

anyway....
Kai Zas
said:
Cinema Paradiso: The New version holds both old and new versions.
Dances With Wolves holds the theatrical release and the Director's Cut..
is that true about wlves?
i havent watched my copy yet but it doesnt indicate anywere on the sleave that this is the case.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Talking of dream alternative versions, I'd love to see the original version of Draughtsman's Contract, which was five hours long, but apparently never got past preliminary test screenings before being cut. A shame, because the longer version might have had a comprehensible plot.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
The DVD of "Joy Ride" has an alternate version where the entire second half of the movie is different.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Just got Vanishing Point, which has both the American and British cuts on it. I also watched Mean Machine (2001) which had American and british cuts with the same running time so I'm not sure what the difference was.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The upcoming BFI R2 DVD will have deleted scenes, as well as a host of other extras compiled by Greenaway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks