What's new

DVDprofiler.com down? (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
That IS what I thought it was, a server problem, in the first place. Like I said... it was one of 3 things... their server crashed, they are away on other business, or they went bankrupt. Sorry, I didn't want to freak anyone out about all the BK talk, but it has happend in the past to a ton of great and famous sites... and I didn't want that to be the case with DVDprofiler. I am glad that things will be back to normal soon.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Hope the DVDProfiler server problem can be resolved soon. I'm glad they posted the reason for the server downtime. Much better than speculating what could be the problem. Let's all gather around a hope for a quick recovery. Because I need to access the DB to add some new DVDs.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Still down...... but I hope that it will result in bringing more people to this great program. I love DVD Profiler!

Chayne_C

Auditioning
Man, the temp is finally up to 60 degrees and I was planning on staying inside and updating my dvd collection. Bummer.

Ermo

Auditioning
Ken,

Thanks for you message, I've spread the word on some dutch DVD forums. People were really starting to get worried, we really love (and support) the program!

Good luck with the repairs.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Amen to that, Sam. I was adding about 100 new titles to my database when the system went down. At first it was a minor inconvenience, but now it is turning into a bigger headache.

One quick question: I've scanned all the new discs I received and many of them have provided information (from the descriptors that I had downloaded previously). The others are still sitting out there in my "ADD" list waiting to be processed. Will I lose the scan information (some I had to enter manually since I couldn't do a data update) if I close down DVD Profiler or will it retain the information without my having to scan it in again? I have no problem leaving the computer on with DVD Profiler "open", but I occasionally re-boot when installing or updating other things. Like I said, a bit of a pain.

Just curious.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
It won't lose them.
I've had disks sitting in the Add Now queue since they went down and I shut down every night.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Thanks for the information, Chris. It's good to know that the software has been designed to handle a special situation such as the one we are now experiencing. Let's hope things are back to normal soon.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat as you Robert. There are 600+ titles in the "Add now" section. I've checked every day and they are still queued, which is good. Hopefully they'll stick, if not I will be mad. I did all of those by "10 digit dialing"!

Still down, but there is a "Server construction. Check back in a few minutes." banner up on www.dvdprofiler.com and www.intervocative.com

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Hey, as an aside, there was promising Aussie designed program a while back that featured full drag and drop, etc.

Anyone remember what it was called?

BTW, any one have experience running Profiler under wine, or can offer a good DB that is cross platform?

Finally, Ken, where is the promised SDK for profiler? I would love to try porting it to the KDE enviroment..

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The longer this goes on, the more concerned I get. While I understand that there's a lot going on behind the scenes we've gotten through the weekend and are now well into a new work week so I would think that there should be some general idea regarding the time frame involved. I've seen much larger databases than DVDProfiler back up and running in fewer than three days. The ISP should have the facilities to swap entire systems out in a reasonable amount of time.

And in a related matter, assuming that this problem is not solved in a timely manner I'd like to consider alternatives. I just don't relish re-scanning almost 2500 discs into a new system! Are any of the options out there "transportable" from DVD Profiler into their own system (without having to write some code ourselves?) I'd also like to retain the ability to use my bar code scanner since I prefer that to, as one person noted, the "ten digit dialing" method.

Thoughts and suggestions on this? I'd like to start exploring other options as a backup even though I hope that IVS will get its house in order since I have had very positive experiences with them for the most part. While they have been slow in coming with some promised enhancements (like the PDA database export which I now have to do via several steps on my own) IVS has, in the past, handled emergencies very professionally. I've got my fingers crossed that this is a one-time situation and that they will learn from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks