What's new

DVDpedia or Delicious Library (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There has been some discussion of these programs recently in other threads and I have been trying to follow the discussion, but it has been hard to keep track. I thought it might be easier to discuss these two programs in their own thread. I am trying to decide between the two and am seeking opinions. I am especially interested in the opinions of those who have used both. I love the look of Delicious Library, but I dislike the 1,000 item limit (although I am well below that limit).

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
As far as I've read, Delicious Library doesn't have an item limit, it just works slower with larger collections. I believe I've seen reference to "large collections" being in the neighborhood of 3,000 items. The Delicious Monster guys are working on Library 2.0 that may fix issues with large collections, but it won't be available until after Leopard ships.

I personally chose Delicious Library because I like the interface and the layout of information. I just didn't like the look of DVDPedia as much. The downside for me has been that they only access Amazon for item information.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also like the Delicious Library interface and it would be good if it didn't have an item limit. Can anyone confirm this?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It does not have an item limit, it just gets slow with large (2000+ title) libraries.

- Steve

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The two thousand "limit" number comes from the horses mouth so to speak -- Wil Shipley, the Delicious Library developer -- he said that the application simply wasn't designed to work with collections above 2000. Here is my post from the recommended software thread:

IMO the current versions of DVDPedia (& CD/Book/*Pedia) (v.3.4.1) blow Delicious Library (v. 1.63) out of the water.

The *Pedias do indeed support iSight, and they also have a whole host of vital features, starting with IMDB/CDDB support that DL lacks. DVDPedia's full screen mode and VIDEO_TS or trailer launching ability is great. And for anyone with a HTF sized collection, Delicious Library, by Wil Shipley's own admission, chokes at 2000.

In fairness Shipley is working on a Leopard only 2.0 version of Delicious Library, which I eagerly await, but that won't be out for many months, if then, and the Bruji (DVDPedia) developers aren't standing idly by. For right now, especially for someone with a large or international collection, the *Pedias are the only game in town.

For additional info, if somewhat dated info, see also this thread: DVD Pedia and other Mac cataloging software

Ted

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In using the demos of both programs, I have found the iSight scanning to work well using Delicious Library and not well using DVDpedia. Has anyone else run into this?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you are absolutely correct -- iSight scanning is much better in Delicious Library. DVDPedia, et al are much more finicky about lighting conditions, etc.

If you have to do a large amount of scanning with ***Pedia, I'd recommend a CueCat or another barcode scanner.

Ted

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
My scanning experience with Delicious was quite odd. I found that the scan would be influenced by reflections from the clear plastic of the case and sometimes from light colors on the sleeve near the barcode. The odd thing was after struggling for a few minutes to do just one disc, I would then get 15-20 discs scanned in a row with minimal effort.

ErichH

Screenwriter
As a long time DVD Profiler user (In VPC of course) my search for something close to it's features Mac native has been futile, but the newest DVDpedia might just change my mind. No where near the great filtering/linking of profiler, but I like the GUI. Adding a DVD is actually much faster than Profiler and I like the idea of imdb (or other engine) detail info better than the ever changing info and covers on the Profiler database.

DL's interface is cute, but not very useful compared to DVDpedia.

I keep thinking Apple will integrate something in iTunes and make my shareware moot, but not yet.

E

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta bring this thread back up....

I have well over 2700 DVD titles.

Should I go DVDPedia or Delicious Library?

Which gives a better overall overview and breakdown of
actors, etc.? In other words, if I want to cross-reference
an actor across all the movies in my collection.

By chance, either of these programs capable of importing
all my titles from DVD Profiler?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Although I tried Delicious Library when it was in development, I no longer use it. DVDpedia seems to have a pretty good forum with a responsive developer. I noticed several posts from individuals that are importing from DVDProfiler, including this one.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have a large DVD/CD collection as well, and having tried both Delicious Library and DVDPedia, I vote for DVDPedia (and CDPedia).

The way I would cross-referance by actor in DVDPedia is to type in the actor's name in the search blank (you can narrow the search to just the "starring" field if you wish to avoid movies the actor in question might might have written or directed). All movies with that actor get listed.

Ted

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I went with DVDPedia and there are a couple
things that are just pissing me off about it at this point....

First, it takes forever to enter a title. After punching in the
barcode, it takes 25 or more seconds to scan through a dozen
different sites (Amazon, etc.) for artwork and information.

If I just select ONE of those sites to scan for information (rather
than CASCADE) it doesn't find the title.

Secondly, since this is not a USER Supported database, you can't
really catalog BOXED SETS. For example, take the LAUREL AND HARDY
boxed set (region 2). I can get the scan for the main box artwork
and information -- but it is impossible to catalog the 20+ individual
discs inside because they aren't sold separately. If this was
DVDPROFILER, I could have easily been able to obtain information
for each disk inside thanks to other members who submitted that
information to the database.

Thirdly, take a title like the Collector's Edition of Animal House.
Since it is no longer in print, there is no record of it on any of the
Amazon type of sites. This is a HUGE problem for most of us that own
many titles that have gone out of print long ago.

It seems that I am taking a huge step down from DVDPROFILER
for DVDPedia. However, I am trying to rid myself of Windows
completely, so it leaves me little choice.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ron, by all means write the DVDPedia developer and post on the bruji.com forums with comments and suggestions. I have found them to be very responsive. And hey, mention that you are the owner of HTF -- I'm sure they want good publicity :)

Boxed set support has certainly been an asked for feature.

So far as a central database like DVD Profiler, it is a double edged sword -- yes, it may speed things up, but it may disappear tomorrow as well. I still remember all the posts on HTF when DVD Profiler went down for a few days -- we had no such problems, as the IMDB & amazon.com are quite reliable...
But indeed having a user maintained database as a backup for those harder to find editions is a great idea, and one the Bruji people should consider as it breeds customer loyalty.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Excellent Idea Ted. Ron could push for some of those filters we all love in Profiler.

OK Ron, Use your influence for us ;)

E

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I already posted over on their support forum and have not
gotten consistent help. For instance, I was told I could import
my entire DVD PROFILE collection (images and all), but was given
very basic instructions and when that did not work, nobody
assisted me further.

So, here I am DAY TWO uploading 2100 titles into DVDpedia.
As I stated before, the fact it does not support boxed sets is
a major downfall. Also, it looks like there is very little (if any)
cross-referencing actors, directors, writers across titles. On the
PLUS side, the interface is pretty decent.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i tried the trial of both.

like the shelf look of del lib but the pedia seems to be a better program.
tried using the iscanner thing to add toitles but it works a little on library and not at all on pedia.

i have an old quecat but it only has s-video looking connectors so i need something to allow this to be plugged into the macbook.

does radio shack sell this connect or if not what do i need and were do i buy.

i just remembered that i'll be getting an eyetv hybtid which i think has s-video conection on it.
i wonder if i'll be able to use that with the que cat.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I doubt it's S-Video. It's probably a mini-serial connector. They sell adapters like these that go mini-serial to USB, but the ones I've seen listed are pretty outrageously priced for something you're only getting a single function out of. You'd almost be better off buying a dedicated USB barcode scanner. The Bluetooth models are nice, but way too pricey.

Ron...glad they helped you get squared away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks