What's new

DVD vs BD test disc (1 Viewer)

Don Keegan

Agent
I have a 51' Samsung Plasma with Samsung BD player I received a copy of a dvd used to do basic calibrations is this as good as using a bd version. I believe not but need clarifacation. Thanks!

Joel Barsotti

Insider
Real Name
SpectraCal Developer
Jim Mcc said:
No. You need to get a Blu-ray version. For beginners, the best one is the Disney WOW calibration disc.
Why?
DVD vs BD should be equivalent. This does assume that your player correctly formats the content for output. Also your TV may calibrate slightly differently between resolutions.
The one pattern that your really need a native pattern for is sharpness. If you have a 1080p screen you want a 1080p sharpness pattern.
There are many variables that could effect the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray, so it is smart to have both. But a DVD should work as well as a Blu-Ray.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
It's been my experience that they can be used interchangeably except when you come to black levels. On my system, the black levels are quite different from SD to HD.

filthybass

Auditioning
Real Name
Jackson James
I think it did make a difference on mine. I don't know too much about the workings, but I had originally calibrated my 47" Samsung with the DVD player calibration disc and when I later bought a blue-ray player I did recalibrate and it made a somewhat significant difference. I see the most difference with the dark scenes. Walmart has the WOW disc with a coupon you can get online for like16.99.
Just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks