What's new

DVD software outsells VHS in October! (1 Viewer)

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Sorry if this has already been posted, but did anyone notice this story? It looks like at long last, DVD software sales are outpacing those of VHS!
FYI the author of the article states that this conclusion was reached via analysis of VideoScan data. I thought something like this would have been bigger news than it's been so far, the holiday weekend notwithstanding.
RD

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I thought DVD had been outselling VHS for ages, it's quite worrying that J6P is buying so much & influencing studios.

I'd bet it's at least 2003 though before DVD rentals overtake VHS.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It seems like there is much more VHS on store shelves in total than DVD but I bet that DVD is selling while VHS is sitting on shelves.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is completely unscientific, but the manager of one of my local Hollywood Video stores told me just today that his rental business right now is 50-50 between DVD & VHS.

I had congratulated him on the recent expansion of his DVD selection and he said both local stores (Albany, NY area) would continue to shift towards more DVD.

Looking at DVD player prices dropping this holiday season, I would predict that the shift is going to pick up a real head of steam within the next few months!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Handwriting's all over the wall, following is a partial from BlockBuster's 9/10/2001 press release:

>>To accommodate the in-store DVD expansion, Blockbuster will eliminate approximately 25% of its VHS inventory, as well as select video games, which together now contribute less than 1% of its revenues.*Additionally, the company will adopt a change under which the residual value of all VHS tapes and games will be reduced to approximately $2 and $5, rspectively, to reflect the rapid shift in consumer demand from VHS to DVD and the evolution in game platforms. *The company will also change the amortization period of its VHS library from 36 months to nine months....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks