DVD skipping and pausing with Sony NC85 5 disk player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisMark, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

My Sony DVPNC85 player has recently begun skipping and pausing when playing DVDs. IT seems to happen to most disks, but never occurred before. Any have this issue?

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Lens may be dirty ?
    [​IMG]

3. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

I actually purchased a new NC85 and have the exact same issue. When I play the same disk on my older panasonic dvd recorder, it plays fine. It also does not skip on my very old Sony single disk player?

4. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Yeah, I had a Toshiba DVD/DVD-A player for a couple of years, and then it started skipping like that. I cleaned the lens, but it didn't help. it was time for a new player.

5. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

That's what I thought, so I bought a new one and had the same problems. I did not mention that this was only on DVD -R disks recorded on my PC. Store bought DVDs have no problem.

6. Bluzman

Bluzman Stunt Coordinator

LOL - just a minor omission. [​IMG]

7. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    FWIW, mine plays DVD-Rs ok. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

As far as store-bought discs it hasn't failed yet. It probably will now that I've said that. [​IMG]

8. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

That's the odd thing. Even the brand new NC85 I bought skips at the same exact places as the older one on the disks. I only find it odd because the issue does not occur on other machines (that are not HDMI) in the house.

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Yeah, minor issue you left out there. #1 problem is bad media, and most burnable DVDs are just bad. The best course of action is to use only Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. They cost more for a reason. Store your burned (and unburned) discs away from daylight. #2, don't try to burn them too fast. It just isn't worth saving a couple minutes when the discs eventually won't play. I typically don't go over 4x but sometimes do 6x.

Those discs which have trouble in the Sony but not others will most likely eventually have problems in all players.