What's new

Dvd series you recommend for... (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Lanie,

If you like FREAKS & GEEKS and MY SO CALLED LIFE, then I would recommend MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE.

Since you are a fan of THE PRISONER, you may want to check out the predecessors, Patrick McGoohan's DANGER MAN and SECRET AGENT. Be aware, these are "straight" espionage shows, without the surreal / sci-fi elements of THE PRISONER.

Also another vote for CRIME STORY. You can't go wrong with THE SOPRANOS either.

MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS is great as well. Although there probably won't be any more season sets, the first season of THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW is fantastic.

If you are a fan of science fiction, you may want to try any or all of the following:
TWILIGHT ZONE
THE OUTER LIMITS
STAR TREK
X-FILES

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
Trailer Park Boys

Comedy from Canada that just started airing in the US on BBC America. You can also download the shows of the net. I bought mine from amazon.ca

funniest thing I ever watched

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I am so pissed off! I went to this used bookstore/movie house that I called yesterday to see if they had a copy of Alias S1. They did and said they would hold it for me till this afternoon. I went there this morning and they sold it. They had it for $20 too!

In looking at the Family Guy, it seems so Simpson like. Is it? I watched The Simpson from time to time, but never fully got into it. I loved the Halloween episodes the most. Is the family guy similar to SImpsons?

I am so bummed about the Alias dvd.... I guess i'll have to keep searching for it for that price or just break down and pay the $40 I found it for at Best Buy.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have both 24 and ALias. I would suggest 24 first. I purchased this after Mr. Epstein's reviews and it's a winner all the way. Don't get me wrong ALias is a wonderful show. Others I have that you may like:

Buffy/Vampire Slayer (Try the first season, it's cheap, only 13 episodes, if you don't like your out $24)

Roswell

My so Called Life

+coughs+/....Dawson's Creek

of course my favorite show of all time next to Twilight Zone,

The X-Files

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Family Guy draws a lot of comparisons to the Simpsons due to the fact that the Fathers are a lot a like, and the fact that its animated.
Although there are some similarities I would not call Family Guy a Simpsons Clone or anything like that. Family Guy is kind of the lovechild of the Simpsons and South Park. There are people that like both shows, people that don't like both shows, and people that like one show or the others so your feelings about the Simpsons should not deture you from trying FG although you might want to rent it first.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There are lots of threads about this but I would go with Alias, 24, Buffy, Angel, B5 and Farscape.
Another vote for Freaks and Geeks.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Family Guy is also on Cartoon Network Monday-Thursday at 11:30PM eastern time, check it out

Bryan

Lisa Menin

Agent
I started watching Alias on dvd and became hooked immediately. Once you watch Season 1, you will have to immediately buy/rent Season 2. I have now finished both 1 and 2 and am impatiently waiting for Season 3 to show up on dvd. Since I didn't tape Season 3 at the beginning of this year, I have been avoiding all news reports, episode descriptions, etc...

Highly entertaining show - full of action and twists and turns.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say yes to both, and I have them both. I watched the first season of Alias on TV but not the second, I just waited for the Region 1 DVD.
Never saw 24, bought it blind on all the great reviews and loved it. I don't think I could have waited a week for the next episode anyway:D Can't remember a series that dragged me in and made me watch 'just one more' as much.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well it turns out I only have funds for one set (unexpected expense came up). So should I get Alias? Or one of the others mentioned.

I was originally going to get both Alias and Sports Night....so which one?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, Sports Night is a pretty damn good show, plus 1 purchase and you'll have the whole thing. I checked deepdiscountdvd.com and the price difference they offer between the 2 really isn't all that much. Alias you can still check out on TV to see how much it might interest you but Sports Night is rarely if ever on, great show though.

So, I vote for Sports Night, not that this is a democratic choice or anything.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Lanie, I would say ALias, but it will only cost you more money, cuz you'll need S2! :D
Curb... is alsoi excellent, I bought this set blind.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I would recommend Sports Night. I loved that show and was heartbroken when it was cancelled and HBO or Showtime didn't pick it up! And here's another vote 24 and for The West Wing, which is my all-time favorite series.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well crap I forgot about Party of Five coming out in May. I really would like to get that series, but I really want Alias or another new one.

This sucks that all sorts of great shows are being released. There are so many I really want, but I can only get one right now. I probably won't be able to make another set purchase for a while ( end of the year or early next year). I just want to make sure I make a good purchase.

I've been thinking about holding off on Alias because if I enjoy it as much as I think I will I won't be able to get S2 for a while. So maybe I will go with Sports Night or Party of Five for now.

Or you all can start donating to Lanie Parkers tv shows boxset fund! LOL!

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well, I went to Best Buy today to pick up my copy of Alias S1. I finally decided to just get Alias because I have really wanted to see this show. The price at Best Buy was $59.99. I wasn't to keen on spending that on a set. So I looked for Sports Night and it was priced at $51.99. I decided to check out a few other places for Alias. I found it at Coconuts for $69.99 (waaaay too much) and then at Circuit City for $45. Circuit City and Costco have it for a dollar difference...so I think I will go back to Circuit City tomorrow and pick it up (Costco is an hour away).

I also wanted to ask about the Buffy series. Circuit City had the S1 set for $29.99 and I have always wanted to check it out. Any good? Is the $29 a good price for 12 episodes?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
As you like sci-fi, I would heartily recommend Lexx, one of the best science-fiction series to emerge in the past several years.

It's not only sci-fi, but has liberal doses of dark humour included.

If you do opt for Lexx, though, I'd recommend starting with the original four TV movies (available as imports from Canada), as they set the stage for everything that is to follow, especially the first movie, "I Worship His Shadow" (don't start with episode 2.01 "Mantrid". I did and I almost dismissed the series based on that one episode).

You should be able to get them from any Canadian online retailer (amazon.ca, for instance).

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
Lanie if you're not going to be able to get another set right away, Buffy S.1 is a good buy -- there's no cliff-hanger, and the 12 episodes form self-contained arc. (Though I'm sure you'll still want to buy the rest, you're not going to be left screaming at your tv after the finale like you would for Alias).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
24 and Alias are both excellent.
I also highly recommend Stargate SG-1, which you can try on the cheap at the link below.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks