DVD recorders - Tivo-like functions (commercial killing, etc)?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Frank**F, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Frank**F

Frank**F Extra

I've been researching the various HD-based DVD recorders out there, and I haven't been able to figure out one detail.

Don't have Tivo, but I've heard lots about it from friends.

With the HD burners, can you mimic the "commercial killing" functionality of Tivo, and the live TV "pause" function?

In other words (I think this is right), can you view from the HD recording, while the HD is still recording the very show you're watching?

Mucho gracias!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Frank**F

Frank**F Extra

Just a follow-up - I bought the Panny 80-gig hard disk recorder/DVD burner this weekend. While I'm still figuring out how to use all the bells and whistles, I've figured out the "pause live TV" stuff - and it does indeed work.

I hear what you're saying about the comparison to Tivo. Tivo automatically records/buffers everything you watch, so you can pause at any time.

With the Panny, you have to turn the recording and Time Slip function on first, so you're watching from the hard disk buffer instead of from the broadcast. For me, that's not going to be much of an obstacle. If you need a break, you just hit two or three buttons to turn everything on then pause the show (rather than hitting just one button with Tivo).

Pretty cool.