What's new

DVD Recorder with HD?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by MielR

Is there any way you can take advantage of Comcast's free Standard Def cable box? Comcast subscribers are allowed one cable box and 2 DTAs at no additional charge. You could perhaps use the SD box to feed a signal to your DVD-recorder (which is what I do with my Sony DVD-recorder). In fact, I only got the cable box for DVD-recording. For regular TV viewing, I use my TVs QAM tuner.

In your case, you'd be using your HD box for TV viewing, so you'd have to ask them if the free SD box offer also applies to you.
Unfortunately, I need the two free DTA's for two TV's upstairs that my wife watches. The one cable box we have is an HD version, and is in the main HT rack where the DVD recorder is also located.

Due to this transition by Comcast, I actually sold one of our TV's -- an old 32-inch Sony Trinitron -- that was in our basement and rarely was being used (maybe once or twice a year). I figured I may as well get rid of it (got $150 on Craig's List), since I would not have enough free DTA adapters to give that set a signal, and the TV did not get used enough to pay a monthly fee for another box.

For now, I will just go without any recording capabilities. I have not recorded anything for several months, anyway. If Comcast keeps transmitting CBC in analog, I may be okay anyway, since I mostly record Hockey Night in Canada games if we are out on Saturday nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks