What's new

DVD-R/RW Picks? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Brad
Looking to purchase one. I know some have recommended the pioneer dvr-a05. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Brad

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the current Sony records ALL of the current formats.

Why buy something that doesn't??

Sorry, I forget the model #

Brent

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The Sony DRU-500A...

The Holy Grail of DVD burners...

This is definitely the player to buy, that is, if you can find one...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've had the Sony on order here since before Christmas. Still no sign. Nobody in the UK has them at the moment.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I second (third? fourth?) the recommendation of the Sony DRU-500A. It IS slightly more expensive than the Pioneer A05 (also an excellent player itself), and not quite as fast with the -R media, but its ability to write to almost EVERYTHING makes up for it. If I put a DVD-R drive on my computer, it will likely be the Sony.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Ah! Here's why:

(from dvdwriters.co.uk)

Sony Announce New DVD Writers - DRU500AX / DRX-500ULX Posted Saturday, 25 January, 2003 by kila_m
"Professionals or creative consumers searching for a fast and easy-to-use DVD drive that enhances productivity and extends their entertainment options should look no further than the DRU-500AX and DRX-500ULX. These latest additions to Sony’s award-winning range of Dual RW drives for PCs are the only devices on the market that support most of the existing DVD standards. What’s more, they deliver some of the fastest recording times available, going up to 4x speed. With the help of the supplied software, the internal 500AX (ATAPI interface) and external 500ULX (i.LINK and USB 2.0 interfaces) allow users to record high quality digital music, movies and data and to playback the files across virtually all DVD players and DVD-ROM drives.
It looks like they're about to release a revised model with the 'X' on the end of the name.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads-up, Rob. I guess this means that people should hold off for the newer model - myself included. :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The Pioneer is what Apple uses as it's Superdrive, which is compatable with just about everything out there. I plan on getting one for my G4 in the next few months.

Glenn L

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read about the new Sony 500AX, it's the same drive as the 500A in a new box.

I ordered the (older) unit just after Christmas, then cancelled the order 3 weeks later when I found it at Fry's. After some initial speed bumps which were my fault (the +/-RW media won't play in my older DVD players), I got it working just fine. I've been burning some of my old recordings of MST3K :). I'm very happy with this unit.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I just got my grubby hands on a Sony DRU500A...the local store bribed someone to ship 5 drives from the states. For the privilege of being one of the "lucky" five in Calgary to get one since November, I had to fork over an extra $50 ($650 instead of $600 CDN SRP). Those bastards! It's like raising the price of crack!

And then I picked up a Welland Firewire/USB2 enclosure with the Oxford chipset. Unfortunately, it is cheaply built (plastic!) and has the loudest fan I've ever heard...yes worse than a CPU fan, and probably as loud as the Geforce FX fan. Poor build quality, but otherwise it works perfectly with the DVD writer! I just turn it off when I'm not using it. The enclosure doubles as a jet take-off-and-landing simulator.

I'll have to upgrade it soon...the www.sonystyle.ca website has the latest firmware, which should make it the same as a DRU500AX...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I guess this means that people should hold off for the newer model - myself included.
The problem with that mentality is that there's always a newer model down the road, so you'll never buy anything because you're going to hold off for the newer model. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks