What's new

DVD player with VGA output for $80 Canadian (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Not too sure if this is available in the U.S. but;

Shoppers Drug Mart is selling a Citizen DVD player that plays pretty much every format dvd/cd-r/w/vcd/svcd/mp3/Kodak picture CD/.jpg/hdcd/cd+g/ and WMA.

It's also progressive scan(not too sure about 2:3 pulldown, prolly not) and can be(or so I heard) made multi region enabled.

The biggest feature that I say, ESP for the price, is the inclusion of a VGA output.

Brent
Been told it's the same as the Electrohome 8181h

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Whats the advantage of having a VGA output? Isn't it still in 480p?

Also, do these 'HDCD' elcheapo players play them in the higher resolution?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
HDCD is just a decoding system kind of gimicky but some people have heard a difference. I couldn't tell you exactly though.

I think that the VGA out keeps the signal .... actually I think it just sounded cool to hook up a FPTV that way. I'm not sure if it's an imrovent over using a HTPC that can be scaled..
It does have colour, tint and hue adjustments though

Brent

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Last month, I bought this player, a Citizen JDVD3841W, at a local Shoppers store for $80 plus taxes. Although it appears to be exactly the same as the Electrohome EH8168, the EH8168's region free procedure doesn't work on the 3841W. :frowning: This player is also suppose to be the same as a Himage model. The 3841W does play all region PAL DVDs...eg. Iron Monkey HKL R2 from the UK....not great as it appeared to have limited playing features. I am pretty sure that there is a procedure around (there is a Canadian online dealer that sells the region free model in the $1xx.xx range)....I just haven't been able to find the correct procedure just yet.

The VGA out can be very convenient for the front projector like the Infocus X1....no need for any adapter....just a direct VGA to VGA hookup. I haven'tried hooking this up yet since I have a Malata progressive hooked up to the X1 via an adapter.

BTW, the Electrohome EH8181 is not a progressive scan player. It too has a Citizen twin....can't recall it's model number right now.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks