DVD player software!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim Robbins, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1024X768 projector attached to a laptop. The problem is with a VGA connection, I lose by ability to scale to the 16:9 screen. The present player software I use (PowerDVD) works OK on widescreen DVDs but full screen uses the entire raster and doesn't have a scaler to keep it in the middle of the 16:9 screen.
    Does anyone know of a player that will allow this?

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Jim - 768 / 1024 = 0.75. Your projector is outputting 4:3, not 16:9. Does your projector support any other display modes?

3. Jim Robbins

Using any analog input, my projector will allow scaling so that I can use a 16:9 screen. This scaling does not work with digital, therefore any software that I use for movies needs to do the scaling. PowerDVD does this find as long as the movie is 16:9 (keeping the film in the 16:9 area of a 4:3 screen). It does not do this for 1.33 films however and uses the entire 4:3 area for the movie. I need the player to allow me to scale it into the 16:9 area of a 4:3 screen.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Couldn't you adjust the zoom settings on your projector to make the image smaller as you view 4:3 material? By imposing a "zoom" function on the image you'd be throwing away a lot of resolution; instead of using the 1024x768 pixels you'd be using a smaller square in the middle of the panel.

A player that can do a lot of zooming and aspect ratio stuff that springs to mind is Zoom Player. It can use the DVD codecs from PowerDVD but gives you a different frontend. Maybe you should see what it can do (it's shareware) - I've never tried to do this myself so I don't know if it can do it or not, just a lead for you to try.

5. Jim Robbins

Someone else on another forum also suggested Zoom...I'll give it a try.
    As far as zoom ranges on projectors, most are very modest and give you
    very little range. It will cease to be a problem when I upgrade to a new projector one day.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Yeah, some projectors have more zoom capability and some less. Changing the zoom manually is only really comfortable with a projector that has motorized zooming though.

You could always install an anamorphic lens on it. That would put your projector into "constant 16:9 mode" which would improve movie viewing considerably for widescreen material. You'd then have to change only the aspect ratio in software to view 4:3 material on your 16:9 screen, ie you'd have a square image with bars on the side.

http://www.panamorph.com/ sells them, for instance. The cost may be prohibitive unless one is really gung-ho about having the best widescreen experience possible, though. Still, it's an option. [​IMG]