What's new

DVD Player for projection tv (5 years old) (1 Viewer)

Walter_C

Grip
I have a 5 year old ProScan projection tv. I want to get my first DVD player which would allow me to play both audio cds as well as video dvds.

Suggestions are welcome on this topic, please!

Given.....

My tv is not hi-def so I don't need a progressive scan player.

I don't need a DVD player which has built in DD and DTS decoders as I will also be purchasing an audio receiver with these decoders.

What I'd like.....

A DVD player for approximately $150 - $250 which will play DVDs and audio CDs (including CDRs I burn) - mostly audio CDs.

I've been checking reviews about the following brands/models and I'd appreciate it if anyone has any first-hand experience with these models and a projection tv:

Pioneer DV-440

Panasonic RV32K (replaced the RV31K?)

Samsung DVD-M301

Hitachi DVP325

I am thinking that a dual-laser player (like the Pioneer) would be an advantage especially since I'd be using my own CDRs.

Thoughts on these players or any any others?

Thanks,

Walter

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
There are a lot of decent players in this range. Without narrowing the choices somehow, it's very hard to choose. Here's how I would do it (your comment about playing CR-Rs is on track):

1. Make a list of media types that you need to play. Possibilities are pressed DVD, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, SACD, pressed CD (which they all play), CD-R, CD-RW.

2. Make a list of formats that you want to play. Possibilities are: DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, audio CD, VCD, SVCD, MP3 CD.

3. Limit yourself to major manufacturers, since they all have brands in this price range. No need to go to obscure or iffy brands (like Apex).

Now, you should only have a few choices left. I'd pick the lowest price, or just whichever appeals to me, based on back panel, remote, attractiveness, color, or whatever.

Walter_C

Grip
Thanks for the reply.

I am going to go with the Pioneer model as it seems to offer the most for my situation.

I have noticed a few web sites selling this model (and the model 444) at very inexpensive prices. I can only assume that they are not an authorized [re]seller/tailer of Pioneer equipment and hence would not offer the warranty service if needed.

Can anyone recommend a good e-tailer for purchasing Pioneer products (that are an authorized [re]seller/tailer)? ...or any good web sites for purchasing electronics (DVD players, AV receivers, etc.)

Thanks!

Walter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks