What's new

DVD music video thread....Suggestions! (1 Viewer)

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey

Wanted to start a thread about great sounding dvd music videos (Like concerts and stuff). I see a lot of music dvd's out there but sometimes I wonder if the sound quality, picture etc. is worth the investment. I've got a few I'd like to suggest.

1. Boz Scaggs greatest hits live (DTS-DD-SRS)

2. Hall & Oates live in concert (DD 5.1 & stereo) comes with cd of concert as well.

Both sound great and shot in widescreen.

3. Led Zeppelin-new boxed set (DTS-DD 5.1 & stereo)
Sounds very good. Shot from alot of different shows so source quality varies. Just happens to be one of my favorite bands. (no wonder why it's on the list)

James_S

Second Unit
Can never go wrong with:

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS)

Diana Krall - Live in Paris (DTS)

The Bee Gees - One Night Only (Kill Me now :b )

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

Third Day - Live Wire

Rush - R30

Austin City Limits dvds
Eric Johnson
Dwight Yoakam
Lucinda Williams

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Kraftwerk - Minimum-Maximum = easily the best-sounding music DVD ever. The picture quality is good, but perhaps not as outstanding.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My standard suggestion is Roger Waters "In the Flesh Live". Originally shot in HD, with outstanding sonics.

Of course, you would need to like Pink Floyd to enjoy the set. I do and I did!

As a bonus, its usually available pretty cheap.

Eric Claptons's "Crossroads Guitar Festival" is also a killer set both visually and sonically.

Brian

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Keller Williams 'Sight' he's such a quirky guy, but an amazing musician, a solid 5.1 mix and a nice small club feel.

Also been enjoying my Charlie Hunter Quintet 'Right Now Live' disc, very well shot, the only thing annoying is that there's like a title card in between each song with the name, kinda breaks up the concert feel, but still enjoyable.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
what they all said plus ...
Eagles Farewell Tour
Steely Dan Two Against Nature
Jean Michel Jarre Live in China
Peter Gabriel Growing Up Live
Yes Live in Amsterdam
... to name but five :b
Paul

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Dave Matthews Band - Central Park Concert - This is the DVD I always use to show off my HTS, great video and sound.

John Mayer - Any Given Thursday - not only is he really good live, but he did a commentary track for the whole concert and that's just as fun to listen to.

I am on the fence about the Clapton Crossroads, what annoyed me is songs like "Cocaine" are spread out over 3 chapter stops. For me that's a little annoying, I like to rip the DVD's to listen to in the car and to figure out what was what was annoying. But that's probably my only complaint.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Is that new?

The new Cream reunion disc looks and sounds great, but that's not always a good thing -- those guys haven't aged very well (referring to their appearance here -- they can still play, but they don't look too healthy :) ).

AricB

Second Unit
talking heads-stop making sense
alice in chains-unplugged
depeche mode-devotional, one night in paris

Manus

Second Unit
Concert for George (Harrison) with Eric Clapton,Tom Petty,Paul Mc Cartney et al. A fitting tribute and showcase of some great songs.

~M~

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nine Inch Nails And All That Could Have Been in full bitrate DTS is a very good one.

Diana Krall Live in Paris is reference material for me :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Toto in Amsterdam, ELO's Zoom, Dream Theater (the one from somewhere in Japan), Three Dog Nite in Tennessee (DON"T kill me now! I've suffered so much already). But really, it's very good. Peter Frampton in Detroit is pretty good too. Toto, Steely Dan, ELO and the best of the best (IMO) Bozz Skaggs, top my short list with 3 Dog Nite and The Eagles Farwell 1 very close behind. Oh, and Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" is worth the $20 just for "Silver Springs"
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
For concerts:

Dream Theater: Live at Budokan (the corrected-audio version of course)

Pat Metheny Group: Speaking of Now Live (anamorphic widescreen and DTS)

For music videos:

Def Leppard: Rock of Ages (a pretty good DTS mix; some videos are missing though)

I'm sure there are many other music video DVDs that are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks