What's new

DVD Mega Changers? (1 Viewer)

Josh_Fr

Auditioning
Does anyone know of a good DVD Mega changer? I have been looking for a DVD Mega changer with progressive scan and can not seem to find a quality piece of equipment. I bought the Sony 875P and there were a couple of things that I was disappointed with.

1. The player automatically starts playing the previous played DVD when powered up. This is not a big deal but you have to wait thru out all the FBI warnings, it becomes a hassle.

2. The player jammed several times within the first days of owning the player. I have since returned the 875P. Has anyone else had this model jam?

However, the GUI is excellent and I was happy with everything else. Is there any other options and how do most of y'all feel about the performance of a mega changer compared to other quality single disc players? I currently have a Toshiba 4800.

Thanks,
Josh

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh
I have the previous Sony model, the 860 and still like it after 2 years. It's almost filled with DVDs now, and still does a great job.
You are right about that. You can do 2 things:
1 Never turn it off by the button on the player, only the 'remote off'.2. Find a disc with no or little fbi warninga and keep it in slot #1. I keep the Avia test disc in #1.

2. You might have got a bum player. I have had no jammings in 2 years. Did you turn the player off (Button on player) soon after stopping a disc? This will cause jamming and then the player does not know where the disc goes and puts it in the 1st empty slot.
You might try another one if you liked it. It took me awhile to figure out about "NEVER NEVER TURN OFF BY THE BUTTON"
(and train my wife too) but thats the key to most problems.
Instead off typing in the GUI, I use DVD profiler, using the DVD # as the slot #. Many will have text on them but it takes a while to enter the rest
good luck
Grant

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I also own a Sony DVP-CX860 as well as having bought one for my brother. Almost 2yrs old, full, w/ at least 100 discs extra. Both are still running smoothly! I am looking for another unit to expand. The Sony, in my opinion has fewer quirks than the Kenwood mega changers. I checked the reviews on www.audioreview.com before purchasing, so as not to make the same mistakes of previous owners. I am currently looking at Sony's upcoming DVP-CX985V (400 disc,progressive scan, SACD, bulkier cabinet for $400.00 coming in Sept). For a large collection & box sets, I could not do without it!!! If you have any other questions about it, just ask.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Kenny
Is there a site that has info on it? Sounds great with more space to boot.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Josh, for some strange reason, manufacturers have not supported the production of DVD megachangers. Pioneer came out with a couple interlaced models a few years ago and have not replaced them. Sony has consistently offered DVD megachangers, but they seem to be the only manufacturer that has.

I don't own the 'CX875P, but given the jamming you observed, you must have had a faulty unit. For what it's worth, I have two Sony ES CD megachangers and have never experienced jamming in three years.

The Sony 'CX985V looks like it is worth waiting for. Alternatively, you might look at the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M and '5900M at crutchfield.com. The '5900M plays DVD-Audio discs. These players are pricey in comparison to Sony models, but I've read good things about them. Note that the Kenwood players are older models, but they supposedly give a good picture.

Josh_Fr

Auditioning
Kenny,

Where did you find out about the DVP-CX985V? I am going to check out the Sony web site. This sounds like what I have been looking for, I was really frustrated with the CX875P when it started jamming. I am happy to know that everyone else that I have talked to has never had a jamming problem. I assumed that most DVD mega changers had this problem. I am going to give the DVP-CX985V some serious thought.

Thanks Everyone,
Josh

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Someone else mentioned this unit here on this forum a few months ago. I also went to www.sony.com and could only find the Feb. press release about it (no picture, so far). I also did a search on www.google.com and entered the model (DVP-CX985V) and found more of the same, along w/ 1 show pic. I finally saw a picture of it in one of the June magazines, while looking over someones shoulder. The style is more like their cd megachangers instead of the slimmer dvd changers of late. I'm also concerned of the actual release date. Sony does have a habit of changing their minds on that. As far the Kenwood models are concerned, I personally wasn't thrilled with some of the reviews seen on www.avsforum.com.(which also had to do w/customer service, and compatability of a few other related Kenwood products, which may have been resolved). I will be glad to post anything else I find on the Sony changer when I find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks