What's new

DVD killing Theaters? (Drive-In and Seated) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I've been hearing people say this for the past 30 years. It really wasn't true then and it really isn't true now.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm 20, never been to a drive in, I grew up in Miami and the closest (and I believe only) drivein was about 45 minutes away. I used to go to the theaters every weekend, but now in college I see maybe 2 movies per semester in the theaters, and they'd be movies that desere a theater viewing - ie. I don't feel the need to spend $8 to see Hotel Rwanda or The Sea Inside on a big screen when I would probably better be able to focus on a movie in my HT and for a few bucks more, own it too. I'm unlike a lot of students in my college town (Gainesville, FL) because everuy single Friday and Saturday night, practiclaly every single showing starting with the 7pm's through the night gets sold out. I know the theaters have certainly lost the majority of my dollars to DVD, but I think that while a ton of kids are buying DVDs, the majority of those I know still frequent the theaters on a regular basis.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
In the last year I have been so turned off from going to the movie theatres.

My girlfriend and I went to see MILLION DOLLAR BABY and there were these 2 older ladies who would keep laughing hysterically, usually at parts THAT WEREN'T FUNNY! :angry:

Then my girlfriend and I went to see CONSTANTINE and there was this couple behind and to the left of us who were having a full conversation... 25 minutes later, THEY JUST LEFT! WTF! :angry:

In the summer I was vacationing in Hong Kong and went to see Collateral. Low and behold, some moron wouldn't shut off his phone and got 3 phone calls and had conversations during all 3. :angry:

I love my HT, I find no good reason to goto the movies anymore other than wanting to see a movie I can't wait to see, and these days, it's rare (Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, etc.). Before I would see almost anything that seemed remotely fun or good (Van Helsing, Hellboy, I, Robot, etc.). Not anymore. The cost and the hassle of it all has turned me off and I'm quite happy with my HT. I don't need a 20ft screen to watch a great movie. My 60" TV and sound system are more than enough.

HOME THEATRES FOR LIFE! :D

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
It never used to be like that. I remember when I was young that even a little bit of talking was grounds for the usher to ask you to leave. The theaters just don't care anymore. And neither do the studios. If I understand it properly theaters with poorly maintained equipment or theaters that regularly showed films out of focus were told by the studios either do it right or we'll withhold future releases. That certainly hasn't been the case for a long time either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are DVDs killing theaters? I don't think so. Any time I catch a movie on a weekend, in NY or IN, they are very busy.

Any negative impact, I doubt is from the minority enthusiast crowd nor do I believe it's because society is going to hell in a handbasket. It would be because people feel more pressed for time, and it's just easier to buy DVDs when at the store (less than tickets for two) and watch them at home at their leisure.

Good tips, Jim. The past three years, for my birthday I've gone to the Silverlake Drive-In in Perry, NY (home of Perry brand ice-cream) and make an afternoon of it.

They've got a nice little mini-golf course good for 18 holes. They have a grill and pizza restaurants, and the pizza is worthwhile. After that, go buy tickets and park in the front row, at the edge of the grass. Come back, join my friends for ice-cream in the parlor. The arcade is always disappointing, though. Small and outdated.

Then, to the movie. Pull out the lawn chairs, grumble because I forgot the blanket and it's getting chilly. There's two screens, each a double-feature. I only stay for the first showing. I've seen Rat Race (great drive-in movie), Lilo and Stitch (also good on the BIG screen), and the last movie escapes me. Maybe Finding Nemo/.

Drive-ins are a fun social activity, and a good way to spend an early Fall Saturday.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tips, guys!:emoji_thumbsup: Unfortunately my car is still in Albany (wouldn't make the trip), but I'm sure I can sucker a friend or two to make the trip. RIT is dead on weekends, so any excuse to get off campus is usually met with enthusiasm by someone. It's only around fifteen miles, after all.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Barry_B_B --

There is only ONE theater where you should even consider seeing Episode III in your area, and that's the restored classic Senator Theater in Baltimore, which has hosted all the Star Wars films and is quite popular with Maryland film fans. http://www.senator.com/ Do yourself a big favor and don't even consider any other place to see it.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Ive been to the Senator Theater - Absolutley Wonderful single screen theater !!! I went to the world premire of "A Dirty Shame" with John Waters, Johnny Knoxville , and Selma Blair in attendance . If you are in the area take in a show . I miss single screen theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks