What's new

DVD Home Theatre Puzzle (1 Viewer)

soncat24

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Breshears
I've worked with Best Buy and the Geek Squad on this and no one can even venture a guess as to the problem. If you have an idea, I would appreciate your input.

Currently, I run my DVD player and Cable box into my Pioneer receiver and then run my Receiver into my Toshiba 52 inch high def rear projection TV. The TV is probably 6 years old. All of my wires our Monster Component cables. That includes Cable and DVD into Receiver and Receiver into TV.

Up until recently, everything was perfect, then my DVD picture started to become really shaky/blurry/grainy. My first thought was that the DVD player was going bad so I bought a new Blue Ray Insignia DVD player. Unfortunately, the same problem persisted. So, I thought the problem had to do with my component cables between my DVD player and Receiver. I switched out the wires and the same problem persisted. Next, I decided the issue must be with my Component Ins on the Receiver. As a result, I ran the DVD player directly to the Component Ins on my TV (i.e. cut out the Receiver) and the same problem persists. I'm really out of options. My Cable box that I run through my receiver works absolutely perfectly. The High Def pictures through it look flawless.

I have no idea what the issue is and I don't know much about TV's in general. To the average person, it seems like the DVD is transmitting in some signal that the TV/Receiver can't exactly figure out how to make straight. Is this possible? Any ideas? Is there a setting wrong or something? I now have a 2 year old running around, so there's always a chance he did something.

Thanks in advance!

soncat24

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie Breshears
There is no DVI or HDMI on the TV. There are only component and composite connections.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Toshiba had some serious problems with capacitor failures in their scaling circuitry (~2003). Your cable box is probably putting out 720p or 1080i but your DVDs will never go above 480p over Component (analog).

You should try an actual Blu-Ray disk because they can upscale to 720p/1080i over Component. (until the ICT - Image-Constraint-Token - is enabled) Length of cables could be an issue but that was probably eliminated when you connected the player directly to the TV.

You should also double check for the presence of a DVI connector under a plastic comer on the back. The set will not allow you to select it unless there is actually something connected to it. DVDs can upscale over HDMI/DVI (digital) if the device is HDCP compliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks