What's new

DVD Forum approves 51GB triple-layer HD DVD spec (Disney votes for it) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, can someone help out a math-challenged individual?

1. Current HD-DVDs are dual layer 30GB total, correct?
2. The above release announces a "third 15GB layer", correct?
3. So 30GB + 15GB = 51GB???

I know I haven't taken math classes in over a decade, but to me that isn't adding up. Can someone please enlighten me?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Each layer has been expanded from 15 to 17 GBs. Three layers at 17GB each equates to 51GB. (The reference to 15GB is incorrect.)

- Walter.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So all of these references to 30GB HD-DVD discs have been incorrect as well? The current dual layer HD-DVD is actually 34GB?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Current implementations are single layer 15GB and dual layer 30GB.

The proposed 51GB triple layer ups the capacity per layer from 15GB to 17GB ( for triple layer only - unless there are plans to increase the per layer capacity for single and dual layer discs as well. I have no idea if that will occur, although it seems logical if player compatibility is not an issue.)

- Walter.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. Thanks!

One question: is there any reason why they chose 15GB for current implementation if 17GB was available all this time? Is it just for a nice round number (15/30 vs. 17/34) or were there technical/technological reasons behind it?

Thanks again!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have absolutely no idea, but if I were to speculate...

The proposed increase to 17GB has more to do with better signal processing / data algorithms, etc. that permit reliable reading of additional data within the same physical space vs. a decision to use something that has been available since the inception of HD-DVD. (so much for my speculation. :) )

Edit:

Googled a little bit and found this over at www.xbitlabs.com ...

The new 51GB HD DVD ROM disc has a three-layer structure with each layer storing 17GB of data, which is an advancement in capacity over current ROM discs, which hold 15GB of data in each layer of a single-sided disc. Continued improvement in disc mastering technology has achieved further minimization in the recording pit, supporting a further boost in capacity to 17GB in single layer and a full 51GB on a single-sided triple-layer disc. Toshiba has confirmed the disc structure and its successful operation earlier this year.

- Walter.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think (and this is just an educated guess) that the increase from 15GB to 17GB per layer may be due to something along the lines of when CD-R media went from 650 MB to 700 MB.

The original spec for CD audio was to get 77 mins on a single disc (long enough to play a particular Beethoven symphony, as I recall), but in the early 90s, we began to see discs that pushed beyond the 77 min limit and closer to 80 mins. Some older CD players had problems with this, but most didn't.

I find the Disney vote on the 51 GB TL disc, as Spock would say, "fascinating."

ReggieW

Screenwriter

According to HD-DVD insiders over at ACS, Disney has never abstained from voting on HD-DVD related issues, so this is nothing out of the ordinary. I think like any smart corporation, Disney is probably just keeping their options on the table. I really don't think this means that they'll be supporting HD-DVD anytime soon, imho.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
People tend to see political motivations everywhere.

Personally, I think they are just being loyal and sensible members of the group they're participating in. There's nothing bad or unwise about supporting a three-layer 51Gb HD DVD, so they voted in favour.

It doesn't mean in any way that they are now obliged, or inclined, to start putting out films on HD DVD. That, I believe, is an unrelated matter.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks