What's new

DVD Component connection Problems (1 Viewer)

Mario F

Auditioning
1st off this is a great site and I have learned a lot by reading these forums, I am new here.
Ok, so I my TV in the Wood console that I had finally died. The dam thing is like 20 yrs old but had some good times with it, so wifey says to buy a new TV. I bought this TV TOSHIBA 46H83 Wide Screen. It is really sweet, now hooking the dam thing up with a VCR and a DVD Player is giving me a headache. I followed the directions on the hook up and got everything going. I have a DVD system(CHEAP system) but it works NORCENT DP1800. I also purchased some Component cables and the Audio cables Monster Video® 2 Component Video Cable
Now when I hook them up I get some sort of noise on the DVD screen, but on the VCR screen or the TV mode I get no noise. So I disconnect the Component Wires and hooked up the S-Video wires and the audio in on the DVD Player and I get no noise and the Picture looks perfect. Noise meaning I see whats on the screen but I get diagnol lines but transparent. I tried hooking the Component wires to another HD connection meaning HD 1 and HD 2 but still the same results. So I then Seperated the power wires from all of the components and put on the Video and audio wires together in the back of the TV but still get lines, I moved wires around and still the same thing. Any other suggestions. If I can't get it to work then I will settle for the S-Video connection.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You have 1 of 3 possible problems:

- Bad Cable
- Bad outputs on the DVD player
- Bad Inputs on the new TV

The cable is easy, return the one and try a different one.

But you need some other Component source to try and decide if it's your DVD player or TV.

Do you have a co-worker with a DVD player you can borrow and try it? If the new DVD player with a new Cable still produces the lines, you need to replace the TV.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On my DVD player, I have to choose the output to the component output.

You have left and right audio out from the VCR and the DVD player, you should be able to get sound on your TV from those sources. The TV sometimes can have an assignment of these that needs to be done as well.

If you hook up coax from VCR and put the TV on channel 3, do you at least get sound and video?

Mario F

Auditioning
Bob,
I will try that method of getting a DVD player with component hook ups and returning the cables.

John,
I have a coax hooked up to my VCR and then from there to my TV and yes I do get sound and video on channel 3 & also I do have to choose the option on the DVD player to tell it to go to component.

Thank you both for your inputs. I will let you know what i come up with...thanks again.;)

Mario F

Auditioning
Ok, so i brough a friend over with a DVD player which has component hook ups and hooked it up to my TV and his player had no lines when using component video. So now I am going to return the DVD theater system back and getting my money back. I think I am going to choose another brand. Any ideas on what to get for under $300.00 USD. I would like a DVD player able to play MP3's and some decent speakers with it. Obviously it does not have to be fancy because I only have $300 to spend. Thanks again for the inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks